I woke up at 3 a.m. today to go to the bathroom and heard what sounded like water running. ?

I am uber sensitive to any unfamiliar noises in my home because I live in the country. I went downstairs and the water running noise was much louder. I went outside and turned off the water main that goes into the house and the sound stopped.  I am going to wait until it gets light to go under the house and inspect. I also have to go up to the main road to see if the water meter is running which would mean a water leak somewhere from the road down to my house...UGH!  I recently had a new hot water heater installed so maybe there is a leak there.  My question is: after turning the water main for the house and the noise stopped does that mean a leak might be coming from the water main pipe to the house or???  Also calling the company that installed the hot water heater as well. Thanks

It is definitely coming from the house plumbing. It is not coming from water draining from outside into your house. Unless it's been raining or wet outside you can usually find the excess water from leak by looking all around.

• David

Many possibilities.  Could be a toilet running or a sink left on but it could also be a failed appliance like a washing machine.  Hot water heater is a very real possibility.  I heard water running once, checked all the sinks & toilets but I still heard it.  The water heater was leaking.  Fortunately it has a drip pan that leads to a drain.

• elhigh

The sound stopped when you closed the valve, so that strongly suggests you do have a leak.  Close all the supplies inside the house: sinks, toilet, laundry, water heater - before opening the valve.  If the sound comes back with everything inside turned off, under the house you go.  Sucks but there it is.

Good luck with it.

It can be noises in your HEAD.  Take your thumbs and press against your ears.  Still hear the noise.  A hissing noise? In your head.  Nutritional.  Something is missing in your diet.  I hear the same sound starting in the evening.  Could be HIGH blood pressure.  IDK  I am not a doctor.  Not a plumber either but I know it ain't the water.

The valve you turned is in the pipe that supplies all of your water. Your leak could be anywhere including a faucet that you did not shut off or a commode that got stuck. But a lot of sound means a lot of water, and that normally means a break. The good thing is it should be easy to see. So look around.

• Mog

If you shut the water off that feeds your house and the sound stopped, that means your leak is in your house, not behind the shutoff. If the water main under the road was leaking, shutting off the water in your house wouldn’t affect it. 

since the sound stopped, the leak, if there is one, is AFTER the valve where you turned the water off, not before it. There almost certainly isn't a leak between meter and house..

{old timer's hint: a large screwdriver applied handle end to ear and pointed end to metal pipe will improve your ability to hear water running through the pipe.}

of course, it may also be that you have a faulty flapper valve in a toilet and what you heard was the toilet refilling

Source(s): grampa

Central heating engineers are well known for being able to keep themselves in business like many mechanics.

Rots yer liver and yer 'Pan'creas eventually though

Great views though