Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 months ago

Why do feminists claim to speak for all women? ?

As a woman myself I disagree with feminists on a lot of issues. They don’t represent me. 

For example, abortion. It’s against my moral values and I believe abortion is wrong. So those feminists don’t speak for me. 

Most women are not feminist.   Feminists claim to speak for all women because that’s what gives them power.    Imagine a feminist organization going to congress and saying we want X even though 2/3 of women disagree with us.   Obviously they have to claim they speak for all women.   

There's nothing wrong with wanting equal rights. It's the 21st century it's pretty pathetic that women don't have the same rights as men. The U.S isn't some overly religious 3rd world country. 

I don't quite get it either, but it could be a way of uniting the women who do agree with their stance and vocalising their points more (e.g. "I speak for all women when I say that..." has more oomph to it than "I think that...")

You don't have to agree with all their beliefs just because you're a woman though. A lot of feminists are pretty hypocritical and don't think before they speak, even though I'd probably count as one myself I find it's better to stray away from a lot of modern feminist ideals.

no feminist is forcing you to have an abortion

Because they have a cause and cannot believe that everyone else might not agree with them.

Feminists speak for most working women who want equal pay and equal opportunities, and need to be self sufficient, have kids to support, etc. They don't speak for those women who are happy to let their men support them financially.

There is not one feminism and therefore not a single set of beliefs and values which you have to sign up to, and no central authority which defines feminism beyond the idea that it's about treating women fairly.

Because we ARE women.

Hm.

Well don't you sound like a grateful lapdog who enjoys not having rights. ;-)

I don't care either way. It's your freedom to choose. But the point IS... thanks to Feminism and pre Feminist movements, you now have that choice.

So... I don't claim to speak for all women. But I claim supporting womens rights to choose.

• paul

yes you nave an opinion just like they do