Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Problems with work and mental health?

This is a bit long-winded, but I really want to avoid seeking legal advice if I can help it.

This all started a few months ago when I had made my work aware that my mental health had been declining and I had been exploring various medication options/therapy. 

A few weeks later, I was called into a meeting and met with a list of complaints regarding how I was doing my job. They suggested that I take time off for my mental health - I took three weeks off in total.

My return to work was phased, and I was given a return to work interview in which I signed a fit to work form dated in July.

Unfortunately my mental health deteriorated further due to various factors including office morale and senior management being particularly hard on us to perform. This was last month.I was bought into another meeting 2 weeks ago with another list of complaints. This time, it was said that they could no longer treat this as a mental health issue because I had signed a fit to work form in July. They said there was no choice but to give me timed objectives and if I didn't meet them, I'd be disciplined. 

I have therefore been signed off sick until Jan. Last week they sent me a letter stating they were hiring for an 'additional' role to fill my place.

I am meeting with them this week to discuss my future in the company. I'd really like to know what my rights are ahead of this meeting and any potential advice going forward. Are they allowed to offer me a lower paid role for example?

This is in the UK.

• xyzzy

If they are compassionate and like you and with a little luck they will lower your pay. Odds are they will just fire you.

• Tavy

You were employed to do a job. Unfortunately due to your health you can no longer do it satisfactory. They can either let you go or give you a minor job on lower pay.

I suggest on Monday you phone ACAS for your legal position.

You need to take someone with you at the meeting.

UK.

My boss said that I was mentally ill but he got fired for incompetence

So who is mentally ill?

Here in UK if you can no longer do the job they hired you for they can offer you any other position you are able to do and that can include something like cleaning and if you refuse then they can dismiss you from the job, Good Luck