Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Would it be legal for an employer to require a $1000 deposit to be hired ?

And the deposit returned after 1 year of employment. And if the employee quits before the 1 year, they lose the deposit. 

Basically to prevent people from abusing the training process for free training and money

That is not legal.

It would be by contract agreed to by both parties.  I've seen something similar called a "background search" fee.  The fee is forfeited if the employee quits (or is fired for cause) in the first six months, returned to the employee after 6 months on the job.

There is nothing illegal in this - the legal wording is important (obviously).

Hell no and if you know somebody that's doing that report them to the wage and hour division it's against the law to take a deposit to give somebody a job unless you guarantee them in writing that they will have a job! This is a scam that some people are doing in order to extort money off of other people they promised them a wonderful job are they tell them they have to give $1,000 deposit because of tools and training that will be invested in them and then after a month or two they lay them off or fire them. And keep their deposit. Don't fall for it report them.

• Bort

Anyone, including employers, can create a contract that says and/or requires anything. Even if what it's terms are are not legal. If a person signs it, they agree to it.

It is the persons decision whether to sign and agree to a contract or not. If you don't agree to it, don't sign it and walk out.

• Nuff Sed

Sure, but illegal terms in a contract are not (by definition) enforceable in court.

Years ago, I got a CDL drivers license for free. The catch was I had to drive a school bus in a small, ghetto city. Very bad children, all minorities. They paid the current minimum wage for 6 months, $6.75 at the time in NY. If I left earlier than six months, I owed $250 for the training. This was the contract. 

The day I finished 6 months they offered me $8.00 per hour to stay. It was 30 hours per week with sports at night/Saturday. It took all your time for $240 per week. No thanks. 

I got a job as a transit bus driver about an hour away the very next day. 6am to 10am, then 3pm to 7pm. $9.25 per hour, 40 hours per week, ok benefits. $5 for the 5 hour down time too. $395 per week. Easy choice. The training fee was legal.

• random_man

What you describe is legal, but that's different than requiring a $1,000 deposit. My current employer is paying for me to get a master's degree, and in return I had to sign a contract that I must stay at least 2 years or pay it back. (Similar to your scenario). You didn't pay a training fee. 

i dont think so, but i think if someone hires you they should pay you the thousand dollars and let you keep it if they fire you

At least in the United States, no, it would not be legal. What would be legal, and better from an employee morale standpoint, would be a retention bonus of whatever amount given at the 1-year mark. If the employee doesn't stay they don't get it. 

Source(s): former employer

Probably

Workers get well shafted in the USA!