Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 10 months ago

Whenever I bring up the idea of becoming a teacher, my family is against it?

To fellow teachers, is it worth it? 

I enjoy helping children, I think I'd be a good teacher. my family thinks I won't make enough money, that I won't have the patience to deal with kids, especially nowadays since schoolshavl become way stricter. I live in NYC by the way.

Discernment is necessary when choosing productive, honest work. “There is nothing better for a man than to . . . find enjoyment in his hard work.”—Ecclesiastes 2:24. Looking at the positive and negative aspects of teaching can help you make a decision; along with any other career choice. The link below leads to an article called “Teaching- Cost and Risk” and “Teaching- The Satisfaction and Joy.” It gives real experience from teachers along with information to help you succeed in the career field. And there is another article called “What is true success?” I hope this information helps you. 

If you really have patience and really want to help the next generation to be educated and better human beings than us, then go for it. the world needs good teachers.

First, if you want to become a teacher, then do it.

Sure, the pay is not great, but it is not awful. You won't be rich, but in most areas you won't be poor. In some areas it is better than others (bigger cities tend to be worse)

I highly suggest that you spend some time in a classroom before you commit to it. I've seen too many people go through the process of becoming a teacher and then quit after 1 year (or less).

Find a teacher who will let you visit their classroom on a regular basis (at the grade level you are interested in). If you go to church perhaps volunteer to teach children there.

It is not just about helping children. Its dealing with parents that get angry because their child made up a story that you yelled at them so they won't get in trouble for something. It is dealing with students who won't listen. Students who refuse to learn. Administrators (in some places) making you do things that are pretty much ridiculous but you have to deal with it. 

Well, first of all, it's YOUR decision. It's your life and in your life you do whatever you want to do and whatever makes YOU happy. What's the point of making a career that you would be miserable in just because your family wanted so?

You gotta do something that makes you happy and not something that makes your family happy. Like I said, it's YOUR own dang life! Don't let others manipulate you into doing things you don't want to.

If you end up with a job you don't like, you're most likely gonna fail at it cause you won't have the passion for it. It may sound cliche but follow your dreams.

And as a teacher, I have to tell you that I really love my job. Being able to be a teacher is a blessing! It really is. I wouldn't change it with anything.

Not gonna lie though. Teaching is probably one of the hardest jobs out there. You have to wake up every single day, put all your problems aside, put a smile on, go to a classroom and have to deal with 20 different kids with different abilities, talents and needs. Yet, you have to teach them the exact same thing. A teacher also has to be a mother to their students. You are responsible for them, you have to help them with anything, motivate them, inspire them and prepare them for the future. It's a stressful job indeed, but it's totally worth it.

Just the thought of you having the future in your own hands is crazy! Kids are literally the future and you have the chance to form it. You never know who you have in your classroom. It could be the next president...

Moreover, you never ever stop learning. You teach kids and kids teach you.

Honestly, I could go on and on but that would take years so I'm going to stop here and tell you to go for it. If you really love kids and love this job, don't let anything or anybody stop you. Teaching is a beautiful thing and even though it's a tough job, it's more than worth it.

People who don't care what others think are the happiest so be one of them. Stop stressing over what your family thinks of this desire of yours. Everybody is responsible for themselves and their choices. Your family makes their own choices and you should do the same.

Teaching is wonderful and if that's what you want to do, don't think twice!

Good luck!

ps. Excuse my bad english but it's not my native/first language. :)

Maybe they want you to be something else.

JUST ASK THEM WHY