Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 9 months ago

What can be done about a rat infested warehouse, I work in retail.....?

I currently work in retail for a company that has little to no morals. Once Christmas is out of the way I will be looking for a new job, anyway.....

The warehouse is full of rat urine and rate droppings. Part of my job as supervisor is to ensure delivery is worked, this means both myself and my team are working stock. This stock more often than not has droppings in the box, droppings where we are working in the warehouse on the floor and the boxes, if left on the floor overnight has urine on. A lot of us have been sick from stomach bugs.We have also had to contend with dead rats and large bottle flies.

I would like to know is there anything that we can do or report this issue to given that we also sell food for human consumption and pet food? A pest control company came in and threatened to shut us down but the top boss is apparently now being paid to keep the store open.

Also, we have no toilets in the store and we are having to use the public toilets outside. Is this against some kind of regulation?

I forgot to mention that I am in the UK. 

Report it to the local government public health department (anonymously if necessary)

• John

Release into the warehouse several cats you got from a city pound.

The UK must have a health department.  State/Province Health Department.  Contact them, with photographs.  I don't see any violation just because you don't have your own (employees only) toilets.

Quit. But Im sure you will have an issue anywhere you work.

• Tavy

Environmental health at your Council, you should have done this weeks ago as there is food involved.

Not sure about the toilets, but if there is one outside which you can use that is legal.

UK

• Eva

Call your county health dept and also the state dept of agriculture. Both have oversight on the storage of human and pet foods.

• Jim

Call your local building codes office and your local health department. And you may get in contact with your state OSHA office.