Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 weeks ago

Is atheism the claim that no Gods exist or the disbelief in God?

62 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Fascinating.  

Answer, both.  Why?  Old school like Hawking and hitchens said there is no god.

New school like dillahunty, Amon ra, et al., say I don’t believe in gods.

It’s a minuscule distinction.  And really,  the New is NOT more effective when employed in an existential debate.  So why use it?

....to avoid perceived anti theism tones?  Idk, Hitchens imo is still unmatched.   

• 2 weeks ago

Just try to define a god. One of the most worshipped by atheists is Zeus, their god of athletics they worship without even knowing it. Paul ran into them on Mar's Hill Acts 17:16 … But even mare atheists worship a Sun god who is condemned in Eze. 8: 16, and 11 Kings 10:18-27, but even though they do not realize it, do worship those non gods through their stubborn ignorance.

• wombatfreaks
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

Nope, not one single atheist has ever worshiped Zeus or any sun god, not once. 

• 2 weeks ago

Atheism is due to the disbelief of the disbelievers.

• 2 weeks ago

Atheists have their own reasons which differ  from one to the next so any question about or if atheists will differ greatly because there is no unified belief, a basic foundation other than there is no god, that’s as close a unification as you will find although this alone is far from a unification in itself but back to the original question a disbelief in god would seem to represent acknowledgement  so I would say a belief that god doesn’t exist, some say because there’s not enough evidence and some say because it’s all a load of BS meaning religion then there’s others that claim to be spiritual and believe there is more to life but it’s an energy and not god, the truth is everyone’s perception of who and what god might be differs so people are rarely talking about what they assume each other is referring to 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

It is all a matter of definition. Personally I call myself an atheist, even though I do not absolutely reject the idea of a god existing, but I do not believe in any god. If somebody else wants to use a different definition, that is fine by me.

• 2 weeks ago

Well, let's put it this way: atheists claim that there is no evidence that any gods exist and state that as their reason for disbelief in God/gods. For atheists to claim no gods exist then to say they believe in God/gods would make them out to be bordering on insane, which is why they cannot say one, without also holding to the other. You can put the two claims the other way around, and it still holds good.

• Green Brick
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

I do not believe in the existence of fictional characters from books, much like any god.

• 2 weeks ago

It is rejection of the positive claim.

• 2 weeks ago

Since we can only address the "claim" that Gods exist, atheism is generally about not believing the claim due to no "good" reasons to do so or not even aware of the claim as in infants. Atheism literally means "not" theism, for whatever reasons. There are atheists who do claim to "know" Gods don't exist and I would label them gnostic atheists, but most atheists take the agnostic stance of admitting they don't absolutely know for sure that the claim is false, but until good reasoning can be had to support such an existence (theism) or possible existence (agnosticism), then they are at the default of nonexistence as well as stating how unbelievable the claim of magical, nature defying, super Beings are. There could be 5 headed, purple aliens that exist, but the time to claim existence is when they are actually discovered.

• ...Show all comments
    • SBR32277
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

That is what agnosticism of Gods is missing, a link of possibility to claim in may never be knowable, where it irrationally works on any magical beings/creatures of your choosing. Without that link of a real possibility, we are working purely from the perspective of the human imagination.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

Same thing. Obviously they make the claim because they disbelieve.

• Broton
      Lv 6
      1 week agoReport

Not at all. Disbelief makes no claim

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

It is a disbelief in the existence of gods.

That is all.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.