What would you think of a zoo that allowed its predators hunt for their prey?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It would be unethical. In the wild the prey have the opportunities of escape which would not happen in the caged environment of a zoo. Indeed, in the wild predators fail in most hunts.

In most jurisdictions they would also be committing a criminal offence. This is prohibited on animal welfare grounds. The general exception is when invertebrate animals are put in enclosures such as locusts eaten by, say, lizards.

• D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would be an empty zoo soon as after all the prey are eaten the carnivores would die

• 1 month ago

How so? In nature, the prey usually escapes, but there's no chance of that occurring when they're put into a cage together.

There are zoos that sell their surplus animals to canned hunting ranches. So if you consider humans among the predators, your scenario is an active one.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I once saw a Chimpanzee in a UK zoo, catch a small bird and eat it like a snack.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

They do in Russian zoos, they'll put goats, pigs and even cattle in with the big cats and bears. However, that does allow for the prey to injure the predators, getting kicked by cattle and injured is not good for any zoo animal.

To avoid inhumane torture of prey animals (not all are killed outright), the food given in zoos in the USA, Canada, Australia and Europe is not put in the enclosures alive. About the ONLY live prey used are crickets, insects, fish and amphibians to the appropriate animals eating them.

• 1 month ago

i wouldnt think they were doing the right thing

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

not enough prey animals for predators in a zoo

• 1 month ago

IF-the animals were going to be released back into the wild, it would be absolutely necessary.

Zoos-I think it's a kindness to the animals to be able to live in nearly the same environment as natural.

BUT-most zoos want it cleaner and easier while hiding under the guise of squeamishness!

• 1 month ago

I think that all zoos are unacceptably cruel with or without allowing predation.  I don't buy the "education" argument, we keep them in cages for our amusement, and that is unacceptably cruel no matter how you slice it.

• 1 month ago

I believe that's called the wilderness.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.