Al asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 11 months ago

can I represent myself in court?

I have an argument that never heard an attorney use before. Jury nullification! The jury can decide the law is not right in this circumstance and acquit me not matter how guilty I may be.

if I were a juror I would vote not guilty on drug possession cases, I am 100% against the drug war. If all 12 jurors do not vote guilty, there is no conviction so I just need one juror

The judge will shut you down at the slightest hint that you're going to mention nullification. If any juror indicates they even know about nullification will likely be excused from serving.

Finding that "one juror" doesn't mean you get away with it. It just means there will be a hung jury and you get to go through the whole process again. You might be able to slip in your nullification testimony the first time to get that hung jury, but for the re-trial, they're going to be ready for you.

In the US, you are NEVER required to have an attorney in court. That said, there is a reason for the saying that an attorney that represents themself has a fool for a client.

The reason you have never heard and attorney openly argue for jury nullification is that the judge would cite them for contempt of court if they tried.

I tend to agree that the jury DOES have the legitimate power of nullification, but the courts maintain that you CAN'T argue for it.

• xyzzy

Jury nullification in the US goes back to the 1794 case of Georgia v. Brailsford, and is still used today especially in trials in which a conviction could trigger a three strikes or other mandatory sentence, and in assisted suicide, drug possession, and firearms cases.

Sure, but you'd have to convince the jury that the law you were being prosecuted under was unconstitutional, etc. Good luck.

You can always represent yourself. Statistically, people who represent themselves do very poorly.

• Kieth

Jury nullification is rare, and the judge gives specific rules to the jury before they go into deliberations. Good luck with your plan.

Yes. Yet that doesn't mean the judge is competent or the state may attempt to falsify evidence. 

Except that the jury doesn't decide the law. They hear evidence and decide if you broke the law as it is written.

Something similar WILL keep you in office, Mister President!

So don't worry too much about it right now before your nap!