Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Daughter fighting us on diet?

My wife and I are becoming very concerned about our daughter's weight. She's in the 260s and only 15. We've been fighting this for awhile and now it's reached this breaking point of sorts.

We really sat down and explained our concern, offered to help her, and lose weight with her.

She has no interest. She says she has it handled and feels fine. We've made the case that eventually she'll reach a point where she won't feel " fine".

What measures should we be taking?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I'd start by taking a serious look at the kind of foods that you are bringing into the house.

• 4 weeks ago

Take her to the gym with you and suggest that she does cardio for thirty minutes a day. The elliptical, the treadmill, etc. those are good forms of cardio and try bringing healthy food in the house don't just have a bunch of junk food around the house and expect the girl to not be tempted to eat it. She's comfortable in her eating habits and the only way it's gonna change is if she's introduced to new things. Be nice about it don't try to shame her into losing weight that doesn't work that will just make her upset and it's gonna make her hate her appearance.

• YOU CREATED THE MONSTER!! TOO LATE TO CHANGE IT!!

• julija m4 weeks agoReport

never too late to start. always too late regret you never started changing.

• 1 month ago

here we have diet chips for you http://bit.ly/2REhdA4

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You’re the one who made her fat. Growing up on what you gave her to eat. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You shouldn't have made it about her weight. Make it about her health. Obviously the 2 are connected but separate them when dealing with her. She likely sees what you are doing as body shaming and she might feel like shes being attacked. 

I would think just bringing in healthier food into the house would help. Cook healthy meals for her. Don't completely deprive her of junk food she likes but make sure most of the food in the house is healthy and that she has quick and easy healthy options available. If you just get her eating better she will likely eat fewer calories and lose weight without actually trying. 

Another thing that you can do is find fun ways to get her moving and offer to do them with her. See if she wants to go for walks, bike, swim, do sports or anything else that gets her moving. 

• 1 month ago

She has to want to lose weight also you are the parents do not make it an option for her. You have set the tone make the choices, it may not be popular but in the end she will thank you. Make it a family thing. Shes got to understand shes setting her self up for long term health issues. She maybe fine but its a time bomb.

• 1 month ago

Start by backing off your approach will cause more harm than good.

• k w
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

print this out and leave it for her to read....don't hover...say nothing, and stop nagging her, bet she's stressed already, so don't pile on

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Measures"?  What do you have in mind?  Locking up all the food in the house?

I hope you're not just a troll. Posts like this make me suspicious.

Look, people won't lose weight because someone else tries to convince them or force them.  They have to do it because THEY want to.  Your daughter knows she is overweight, but right now, she is not ready for serious dieting. She's made that clear.

Make sure she gets regular check-ups, and of course her doctor should be talking to her about her weight. You can discuss that with him or her.  A doctor's words might make more of an impression. Keep only healthy food in the house, and serve only healthy meals. If you're already doing that, she's buying food elsewhere, and there's really no way you can monitor or prevent that.

A 15-year-old, by the way, is no model of long-term thinking, so telling her that eventually she won't feel fine isn't going to have much effect.

Neither will hounding her about her weight. Dial down on the subject, eat healthily in front of her, let the doctor talk over the situation with her. That's really the best you can do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.