D3stroy3r asked in PetsCats · 8 months ago

Is it true that it’s kind of hard to bond with a cat? ?

I would want to get a cat sometime in the future but I feel like it would be hard to bond with it. I asked someone and they said “Cats don’t care about their owners. I wouldn’t waste my money on a cat.” Are they wrong? 

Cats just have a different language, one that many people don't have the patience to understand. Just because they aren't jumping all over you and wagging their tails doesn't mean they don't have a bond with you. We KNOW when dogs love us, want something, trust us, as they are incredibly expressive with their whole body. Cats are more subtle with their love/trust language.

You need to be patient and work for their affection and it will pay off in the end. I have two cats, both bonded to me and my husband. How do I know? Both are very loving and affectionate with us, of course, but they expose their bellies to us and sleep like that sometimes without a care or fear in the world, they slow blink us, head bonk us, have to be where we are at all times, vocalize/meow at us, bring us toys they have "killed," among other things. THIS is the language of cats and their trust.

Basically, you want them to view you as a big stupid hairless cat. It has been said that this is how cats view us when they are bonded. We are one of them, just bigger and uglier, LOL. It's not hard at all, you just have to treat them like a cat. This can be hard for many, as the vast majority of people are dog-minded and expect every animal to act like a dog, therefore cats are OUT. I hate this mentality. You get a cat and expect a cat, end of story. I would read up on cats and their body language if I were you. I hate it when people call them indifferent, cold, aloof, unloving, because they are NONE of these things. Spend two days with my cats and see for yourself; bonded cats never leave you alone and are some of the most loving animals in the world.

No, that's not true. My kitty is my baby. He loves me more than anyone in the house. All I do is pet him and play with him. He even sleeps right beside me all night long. If I wake up he comes to me and head butts me. That's one-way cats show affection. They are lovely animals. Very affectionate.

surprisingly gorilla glue works good with this. i thought it was on for gorillas but turns out it works on cats too!

Source(s): GOD 2020
  • Athena

No, but cats are not like dogs and they bond with YOU as they see fit.

They may love to be on you all the time but fight like mad if YOU try to pick THEM up.

Cats want you but on THEIR terms.

• Huh?

Not true.  If you treat them properly cats will normally be very friendly and affectionate.  It's just that, because in the wild they would be solitary hunters, they don't show it all the time the way dogs do.  

i always thought it would be hard to bond with a cat until i owned one. although they are not as 'loud' as dogs or even as active they are very sensitive and loving

Not if you use a shock collar.

I guess it depends what you mean by 'bonded', a term I have never quite understood as applied to animals and their relationships with people. It also depends what you are expecting. Cats don't usually relate to people in the same way dogs do. They may care, but not many cats are going to always come to you if you say their name, for instance. If that's the kind of thing you're wanting as representing 'bonding', then you are very likely to be disappointed.

Then don't get one if you're that stupid that you believe that. All my cats are VERY bonded to me and they were all adopted as ADULTS. Most bonded to me cat was already 6 years old when I got her!

• Mark

No, it's not true.  Cats don't slobber all over you and fawn with affection that bounds on being mawkish like dogs, but they most definitely DO bond with you.  It is, however, hard to bond with a fish, though.