To the people who chose not to donate their organs after death, why?

Anyone can donate organs/tissues after death. Whether or not those organs/tissues are utilized is another matter, entirely.

My parents had diseases (diabetes, leukemia) that made their organs not suitable for transplant.  A friend can't because he was in England in the 80s so the chance of him having Mad Cow disease is too high to risk, even though he's never had symptoms.  Cancer patients can't because the risk of the cancer being in any of the other organs is too high.  Some people donate their bodies to science so doctors can study those diseases but their organs aren't suitable for transplantation.

• Willie

They may need them in their next life.

• Edna

There are some people who can NOT donate their organs after death. Someone who has ever had cancer can't be an organ donor. Someone who is a drug user can't be an organ donor. Someone who is currently on certain types of medication can't be an organ donor. Sometimes, a person's religion prohibits them from donating their organs.

• Jesere

I am not allowed to because I am on opiods

So others can use them when you don't need them any more.

• Nicey8

Some have health problems and some have taken lots of medications. it is also superstition in some cultures.

My mom once told me she wasn't sure doctors would wait until she was completely dead.  That they might stand back and watch her die rather than intervene to save her, because they wanted to part her out.  So she refused to sign the card.  She's gone now, but she was 2 weeks short of her 90th birthday when she died, and nobody would want her shriveled organs.  I don't know where she got that idea except she grew up in the Depression and all her life she thought everyone was trying to cheat her.  Still, if I was in need of a transplant I would have loved to have her heart or her brain, because even as old as they were, they were hardly used!

I understand the Japanese have more kidney dialysis units per capita than anywhere because they don't believe in transplants.  They have a religious objection (I think it is.  I don't mean to speak for Japanese.  Perhaps a Japanese person will ring in  here and tell us.)  So they have fewer organ donors and fewer organ recipients.

I would be all in favor of a law making organ donation an opt-out system rather than opt-in.  If you DON'T want your organs to be used, you carry a card or register in a database or something, otherwise you're fair game.  Your parts can give life to THIRTY other people!

Doctors may be more swiftly inclined to declare a person brain dead, when they aren't, if somebody is waiting for your kidneys, eye balls, heart, and lungs, etc.

"In a 1999 article in the peer-reviewed journal Anesthesiology, Gail A. Van Norman, a professor of anesthesiology at the University of Washington, reported a case in which a 30-year-old patient with severe head trauma began breathing spontaneously after being declared brain dead. The physicians said that, because there was no chance of recovery, he could still be considered dead. The harvest proceeded over the objections of the anesthesiologist, who saw the donor move, and then react to the scalpel with hypertension."

Furthermore, "Doctors don't have to tell you or your relatives what they will do to your body during an organ harvest operation because you'll be dead, with no legal rights."

Because it's my body. I don't want it desecrated. My body, my choice.