Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

Can’t agree on tv with spouse?

My husband never wants to watch what I want to. I always suggest movies or tv shows and he says “ew no I wouldn’t like that.” He’s never interested. It’s always what he wants and I tolerate it. Thankfully, we have a tv in our bedroom that I watch. It bothers me that he’s not interested. Is this a small thing to be bothered over? I don’t mind going in the bedroom, but should I just accept it or make a big deal? Do you watch tv with your spouse together? 

• Chloe

If you CANNOT find one or two tv shows or movies that you both like that's bad news.  I always  watched some of bf's tv shows (The Greatest Catch) and he'd watch like "Sex and the City" even though both didn't equally like them.  In today's modern society it is kind of a deal breaker.  Better find out what else you don't share in common like do you guys want kid(s) or pet(s)? What's your ideal vacation?  Write a list.  If you can't agree on anything, it's not meant to be.  Sad but true.

Some of my personal pet TV peeves when I'm just  minding my own in front of the TV is that STUPID question,, "Are you watching that?"

And the one that REALLY pisses me off is returning from the bathroom or the kitchen with a drink or something to find the channel changed,,,"Oh, I didn't realize you were 'Watching that",,,

And no-less aggravating is the otherwise polite request to pass the remote so somebody can "Find out what-Else is on" only to just pass it back after a couple of irritating minuets of surfing full-circle back to the same channel  ,,,,

Not to mention the damned interruptions that only happen when I really really DON'T wanna MISS anything ,,,Yea, of COURSE my loved-ones are more important to me than a stupid TV show!  But for Christ's sake, unless the house is on fire or somebody's outside stealing the frkn Car or something, then GodDamit as long as "I'm important Too", the least somebody wanting "Proof" of it with my Undivided Attention can do is WAIT to demand it of me during a frkn Commercial!!!       

And the selection of TV TwatGames goes on & on & on in full Living-Color-View of television being around for Seventy years ,,So trust me, no matter how clever you think you are you're probably not gonna come-up with anything Original in the 21st Century now that BoobTubes are Flat since the world is still just as round as it ever was, & when it comes to TV-Watching women & kids are still & probably always will be no-less of a Pain in the A*s about it!        

So,, 

As long as there's a TV in EVERY room then there's NO excuse for Butt-rashes or ANY reason  that everybody can't just watch whateverThF*k they Want!

Thus, there's Nothing for you to 'Tolerate'.,,, since you appear to be taking things Way too personally,,, OMG! the old "Love means' always having to watch TV together" TwatGame-Rule is soooo 20th Century & it's Not even the least-bit Original!,,

What do you think he would say if you walked in there naked as a jaybird and started trying to take his pants off? Would he tell you to quit or stand up so you could get them off quicker? If he told you to quit, you got a problem, if he stood up, everything else can be worked out. Tell him it is fair that you get the big TV every other night, but don't make a big deal out of it.

• Foofa

My spouse's taste in film is for the most part the opposite of mine but we've made this work for many years. The trick is that neither party always gets what they want. It also helps that we're busy enough with other things that we don't have a lot of time for leisure viewing. TBH it's my kids' taste in movies that makes me crazy. One can only watch 'Secret Life of Pets 2' so many times before they start to lose it.

Yes it,s natural.

Real men seldom force their wife to watch what they want 

most women will not watch the stuff the man wants 

the way life is 

80% of the time a married couple do what the woman wants and he says almost nothing

and she never really acknowledges he does not want to do these things 

5% they do what the man wants 

15% the do what they both want to do

as long as she does the 5% he wants he will be happy and stay 

ONCE she stops doing the 5% the marriage ends 

the problem is women often think/pretend/self deceive them selves that he is wanting to do the things she whats and he does not want (80%) so she often never realize the 5% is that important 

HINT TV is not really in his 5% (real men) 

• SeldomSeen
      3 weeks agoReport

Where are you getting your information? It sounds contrived to fit your opinion.

• Helen

If this is the biggest issue in your marriage, you must be pretty blessed.

• Rick

We have 3 TVs so if I don't like what she's watching, I can watch another TV.  I like some of the shows she watches so I'll watch them and she does the same for the ones I like.

Why make a big deal.. ? You have 2 tv's.

It's not unusual for males and females to have totally different preferences, it's a gender thing. I wouldn't be bothered by it and just do what you do, watch in the bedroom. If I was in a strong mood, I'd tell him to go and watch his show in the bedroom if he doesn't want to watch your show or movie.