Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

How did people before 2010 survive without smartphones?

Like how did anyone know how to keep in touch with anyone, know what was going on, how to get around and stuff? Like I probably would have died of boredom.

Mobile phones existed before 2010. I had a flip phone in senior year of high school in 2005.

To be honest, I didn't think about how hard it was to keep in touch with loved ones and be informed. I just worked out how to work around limitations and got on with it. Never felt bitter or lost before the invention of 2010's smart phones. But I can say I feel happy and more connected now then I did 15 years ago.

You can't miss something that doesn't exist.

Flip phones, rotary phones, actually seeing eachother in person ..

They just did. Not a single human being needs smartphones to live. Not before 2010 and not now. Anybody thinking humans need to have it to survive need to go to a mental institution.

If lacking a smartphone meant you would have 'died' of boredom, that only speaks to your own lack of imagination and addictions.

We had e-mail. We TALKED with people on earlier types of cell phones and home phones. We could actually go to a store, or a restaurant and NOT need to look sh*t up or check texts in a monomaniacal manner.

• Stella

You can't miss what you never had.

The stereotype in the past was a teenager spending all night talking with their friends on the one phone in the house.

I'm surviving just fine without one. My experience is that the people that walk around with their phones in their faces are missing out on an awful lot going on around them in the REAL world.

I survive w/o one regularly. I'm shocked by your dependency ... lol.

Weather permitting, I ride several miles a week on my bicycle.  I get a prepaid cell phone in case of emergency. It's winter now ... I don't need one.

I've got what I need at home (including land line dial tone) and don't go out much.

The internet? ... that's different ... lol. We developed together.

• Liz

Lol, they did it back through time with face to face communication; letter writing, home visits before the telephone became the norm. People were friendlier back then, imo.

• keerok

People were smarter then without smart phones so we survived just fine. Basically, we just talked to each other - friends, relatives, acquaintances and even strangers without having the need to be in touch every effing moment of the day. One other thing was that we held to each other's words so if we agreed to meet at this place and time, no need to confirm. We simply showed up. Then we had lots of things to do so very few died of boredom. Even couch potatoes did what they enjoyed most.