Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

Is 'honky' an offensive term for white people?

As in the phrase "You can be a honkey but still be hung like a donkey"

• Foofa

It's offensive in any phrase you might come up with.

I feel about the 'h-word' the same way many Black people feel about the 'n-word.'  In an appropriate context, it's a f**king badge of honor.

• Nunya

Hell no. I've been called worse. Still here. 

• sian

Yes it is but, believe me, honkys at NOT hung like donkeys!

Of course it is. But I like the donkey phrase. That's something to be proud of. I always wanted to know the origen of that word. Si it's from honking the horn, as some posters say.

It is a derisive term but I am not particularly offended, ya cracka. A honkey is the kind of guy who rolls into a black neighborhood looking to buy drugs or love and honks his horn to get someone to come to the car.

• sarah

That whole sentence is offensive. White people do not care what you call them. So it is hard to call them anything they have not been called before. They have learned that some minorities are offended by things they say. Which makes them a target for abuse. If you don't care what people say then it takes all the fun out of it.

• Justin

Actually, I have never been offended by it. I find it cute, mostly because of its origins. It was coined by inner city children who started calling people driving around in the city 'honkies' because of their impatient use of the car horn, (drivers were mostly white non-residents). They used their car horn constantly but mostly out of sheer frustration at not being able to go anywhere because of the traffic gridlock. The kids often played on nearby streets, (hopscotch, stick ball, etc...), and were laughing at the comical scene because the situation was always the same but the white people 'honked' anyway. The name caught on among adults who eventually tried to put a racist 'edge' on it. Its use in blacksploitation films cemented it and the term 'cracker' even fell out of style for a while, (referring to 'whip-cracker' dating back to slavery days). 'Honky' is considered old school or even outdated now. 

• Will

To some, but not to me. I embrace honky as just another term that says I am white. White, caucasian, honky. I am a honky and proud of it. 

If blacks had this attitude towards the terms n.egro and n.igger, that would be the beginning of the end for racism towards them. N.egro literally means black in spanish, so I don't understand why they haven't accepted it and removed its racist power.

• will4 weeks agoReport

Well, kind of except no. If people weren’t racist then that would end racism.

Yes it is, it's like calling a black person the N word.