Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Why is my dad getting more clumsy lately?

Recently my father in the last few months has been making a lot more common mistakes which does come with old age since he is 59. But it's been a lot more common lately. He has been to the doctors to check for dementia just in case but that was about a year ago. 

As of lately my dad keeps leaving the stove turned on, he will put it to the lowest setting instead of off. Or he will turn the faucet to cold when he wants it hot then get frustrated because he doesn't know why the hot water isn't working. The most concerning part is my dad was trying to turn right but for some reason he started turning left. To which he was even confused himself on why he did that. This is just really concerning, should I bring up the fact he should see a doctor about dementia again even though it upsets him when I do? 

Please help :( 

• Rick

maybe he had a 'silent' stroke ?????

• Lili

Yes, I think he should be evaluated for early-onset dementia.  There must have been a reason he saw a doctor for this a year ago -- obviously something was going on.  You don't say what the result was, but he should go again.

It's very difficult to discuss this sort of thing with parents, but you need to try. Tell you'll go with him and be with him every step of the way, that he'll have all the support he needs from you. But do get him to the doctor again.

he is showing early signs of alzheimer's

disease

try a Gingko Biloba supplement

Age is the factor. A big one. Help him. Dont give up on him.

• Lili
      4 weeks agoReport

59 is normally far too young to be having these issues.

i would take him back to the doctors

• Eva

59 is not old age. Yes, he's getting older but the incidents you cite may indicate early onset dementia. No one wants to hear that diagnosis because they know what it means. There are drugs that can help though, if they're started early enough. There are also other diseases that can mimic it. It's time for another doctor's visit.

• k w

diet, it always comes down to missing vitamins and minerals......and going to quacks ? you trust the enemy.....coconut oil helps with dementia...and I trust an herbalist or natural type before I'd trust a pill pusher......I got my reasons too.....

sounds serious enough to warrant seeing a doctor. could be various types of brain damage of dementia. could be as simple as very high stress too.

by the time you notice it, the debilitating/stress inducing symptoms will tend to be quite advanced. there are undoubtedly many more instances you're not seeing.

• Siobhan4 weeks agoReport

Thank you. I'll try to get him to see a doctor again about it.