Can't I quit job with no penalty?

I worked a new job for three weeks now. Me and another guy started at that time and are with an agency. I told him I could quit anytime if I wanted. I am 25 miles away. He said couldn't they fine me for quitting? I told him they could just leave a negative mark saying I quit on my record. Isn't it true I can quit a job anytime with no fine or penalty?

Yes, normally you are correct.

You should probably turn to crime.

• what L said, you can quit, just dont expect them to be a usable reference in the future 

In America, EVERY state is 'at-will'.............meaning an employer can let an employee go for no reason and an employee can quit for no reason.  However, if you do quit.....just do NOT list this employer on applications and resumes.

As others have mentioned , if there is no contract spelling out specific penalties , no there would be no fine or penalty. 

It is probably to your advantage to give notice, even if it is a simple entry level job, basically to ensure a decent reference. 

If you are working for a staffing agency, it might be as simple as asking for a different assignment 

• Bob

You don't have to worry about any kind of penalty,unless you signed a contract that says there’s a penalty.

I would not worry all that much about getting a bad job recommendation, or a bad reference, because people are instructed by their HR department to only say,if someone calls and asks for a reference, that the person worked there and not to say bad things because they,or the company could be sued.

No, they can' fine you for quitting.

Unless you sign a contract that says there’s a penalty, otherwise, no. There might be a no compete cause (usually for 1 year after you quit) meaning you can’t recruit the clients that you got through the first job or telling your clients that you started your own company. But that doesn’t mean they can’t hire you. They can hire you as long as you don’t recruit them. They have to do it on their own free will. 

There’s no point in giving you a penalty. If they keep you around when you don’t want to work for them, you’re not going to do your best. In some cases, it could be worse. What’s to prevent you from doing something incorrectly just to get yourself fired. 

• Eva

In the US, they can't fine you. In other countries where employment is by contract, they often have a penalty clause that requires a long notice period. If you are working for a staffing agency, it's never a good idea to quit. They will look at you as being unreliable and will hesitate to place you in another position.

In the US, yes. There are rare exceptions- where someone has signed a non-compete contract saying they can't go to work for a similar organization within 6 months or whatever. That's sometimes used in cases where the person might take proprietary information with them, or might take clients, as in the case of a law firm. But you're right that mostly quitting without notice will get you bad job recommendations in the future.