Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

If someone breaks into my house can i shoot them with my gun?

62 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

It depends on the laws in your particular state.  I live in a Castle Doctrine State ( your home is your castle).  One can use deadly force against anyone who illegally enters their home or occupied vehicle.  Some states require that you be in "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm".  Some states even require that you retreat, and deadly force is only a last resort.  

• 3 weeks ago

GO ahead... I AM NOT GOING TO LOAN YOU ANY OF MINE TO SHOOT THEM WITH.

• Melanie3 weeks agoReport

change your profile pic, thanks.

• 3 weeks ago

Of course in law anyone who come Inside a house in another person property can be killed 

• Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

That's only for you, secret agent man.

• 3 weeks ago

No, by law you must shoot yourself

Source(s): Big Peepee
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

If you shoot and kill any person who breaks into your house who wasn't aiming a gun or pointing a knife at you;  You will most likely be tried for either manslaughter or murder!

• ...Show all comments
    • Anon
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

You will be charged with it anyway. When smoke clears, if that person had weapon out or had threatened U previously,   charges will be dropped. I Know, I live in a Castle Doctrine state, it isnt so simple. 

• Clive
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I'm sure you can. Ending up in court on a charge of murder is of course a mere detail.

• 3 weeks ago

If someone breaks INTO MY HOUSE, which is my sanctuary,  then I will assume they intend harm and they will take some 00 buckshot in the chest. If I can't feel safe in my own home, there is a problem with the law.

• 3 weeks ago

Illegal entry.....shoot away

• ...Show all comments
    • kitta
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

yes, where I live, illegal entry equals intent to harm which justifies use of deadly force

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

depends on where you live.  you can always call 911 too.  

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The average response time for police response to 911 in my community is about 18 minutes on a good day and may be well over double that where there are only three cops within 30 miles of here, even assuming they're not already busy.

• 3 weeks ago

Only if you feel your life or someone else's life is in danger. If they grab your TV and are headed out the door, you can not shoot them in the back. (But if you happen to be between them and the door and they keep coming at you, that is different.)

• JerryL
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

so true

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.