Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

why would I experience hair loss ( balding/ thinning of hair) after having STOPPED smoking cigarettes?

I noticed thinning of my hair a few weeks after i stopped smoking cigarettes and now it has been two months and i still see thinning, why this would occur after STOPPING smoking cigarettes? (I thought smoking caused hair loss not the other way around?)

It has been 6 weeks now since i noticed the thinning /balding area on front of hair line. and I heard that Winter time hair loss is more usual? and there is a "resting phase" that occurs every 3 years or so where hair does not grow back for 3 months? is that true? why? and maybe that is what it is? why it would coincide with stopping smoking cigarettes maybe?

• mokrie
    Favorite Answer

I never heard of smoking causing hair loss. Sometimes stopping something can be a shock to the body or you may have a vitamin shortage.

• Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

so you think that there was a side affect to stopping the nicotine ? will most likely grow back shortly or maybe i should start smoking again? lol

Hair loss is common in males in midlife. You may still have lung problems in old age even if you quit it. Sad but true. You should visit the hospital and look at patients with copd.