Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Is it appropriate for a teacher to call students "sweet heart" or "sweetie"?

I'm in high school, my math teacher calls people "sweetie" or "sweet heart". She always does this and i thought it was kinda weird. Should she be calling students that? I mean we aren't little kids, we are all 15-16.

I am a teacher and I have taught kids in a variety of ages, 3 years old to 14. I have used terms like this for the kids at all of these age groups. I think it really just comes down to a habit and a bit of the teacher's personality coming through. It's just something I do. I haven't had any students who have asked me otherwise, but I have always made it clear with them that if they ever want me to call them something or NOT call them something to let me know. In my experience the kids tend to be closer and more open with me when I use terms of endearment than they are with the teachers who don't.

• Lili

The term isn't normally confined to "little kids".

I wouldn't use it in a classroom myself, but if she's using it for everyone, it's basically acceptable.

At my high school, some of the teachers addressed us as "Miss Surname". I think some of my classmates would have preferred "sweetie".

It's not INappropriate. She's older than you, you're not yet adults, and she's using the same terms for all of you. It wouldn't be OK if she was calling only some of you 'sweetie' but if she's using it for all of you, it's fine.

But if it really bothers you, why not wait at the end of class one day and just speak to her politely about it? 'Miss Smith, I know we probably all seem like kids to you, but I wonder if it would be OK if we asked you to call us by your names instead of 'sweet-heart'?See what she says.

While I agree it is not the wisest option, some people do. We have likely all heard of the cafe waitress who calls everyone (including men twice her age) "Honey" or "Sugar". I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just understand that is probably how she was raised. 

Yes, some people do that. If she's calling everyone that, it's not a problem. 

• Laurie

All you can do, at any time in your life, is to speak up if someone refers to you in a way that you don’t like:

“Could you please not call me ‘Sweetie’/‘Honey’/‘Babe’? Please call me Karen.”

Yeah that’s normal, older people usually call younger people that even if they’re in their 20s or 30s, maybe it’s just southern hospitality cause people do that all the time here i wouldn’t think twice about it.

some people just do this, if she calls everyone that, I would let it go as its not a sign of singling anyone out

She is old enough to be your grandmother.