If you believe in the Bible but not in the flood then what is your take on Jesus talking about the flood?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • yesmar
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favourite answer

In the parts of the Old Testament that are other than literal history, the meaning or lesson that they contained would still be valid, and be referenced by Jesus.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

To understand the writings of a writer from several thousand years ago, we have to ask what various terms meant to the writer, not what they mean today. What did "the whole world" mean to a peasant in the Mediterranean region 5,000 years ago? Obviously it didn't include North and South America, or Australia, or Asia, since he didn't have a clue that such places existed. His "whole world" was the area surrounding the Mediterranean and Red Seas. Which is where the great flood occurred. The inland, elevated Black Sea is a remnant of that great flood.

• 5 months ago

There was a flood, but NO GLOBAL FLOOD: There were over 25 million people left on earth after Noah's flood: Abraham had over 300 servants, and fought armies of thousands, who had not been destroyed in Noah's flood. The old testament is the history of the Israelites, not the world.

The floods were periodic occurrences in the Mesopotamia when the four rivers there overflowed.

• sarah
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Most Christians believe in the flood story and that God tore the continents apart so the humans would not be forced to live under a cruel ruler.  Just as they escaped from China and came to the USA they were able to go to islands and other nations to excape those cruel rulers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

I believe there was a flood of the known world. It had something to do with melting glaciers.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Other than the bible, there is no other historical document mentioning Jesus.

• Jeff
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

jesus is imaginary -- do you worry about what Dumbledore said?

• Marco
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

I am going to refrain from commenting on my personal belief on the flood.

Even if the flood is a work of fiction, it's still a part of Jewish scripture and a reference point that people understood. If I am making a point and talk about Yoda to demonstrate something that we will both easily understand and connect to, does that say I believe Yoda is a real creature? 

As a work of fiction, it holds the truth of the symbolism it was meant to represent. If the flood narrative is fiction, it's only partly fictional. It's the story of Noah and his family and his sons families, and how they got through a symbolic flood. 

If it was allegory, then it was meant as allegory, and Jesus would have known that. But there is no reason for him to completely ignore a work of popular Jewish allegory. 

Or the flood narrative was true and Jesus, being God in the flesh, knew that. 

• Acetek
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

simple.  jesus is a fictional character.  There is no historical evidence that he existed. The bible is a book of fiction

• 5 months ago

THE FLOOD was very real....

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.