Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

COVID Etiquette?

Hi all, something recently happened that is honestly bothering me quite a bit. As someone who values COVID etiquette, wearing masks, maintaining a distance, etc. I don't know why I reacted the way I did over this incident. A few times in a recent past I've encountered angry shoppers who've asked me to stand further back when they felt I was in their space (understandable). In BOTH cases I was being mindless and despite that I was in front of the "line," I was not tailgating either shopper.  What bothers me is not being asked to stand back, which I've myself asked of others, what bothers me is the way they approach you when they demand you stand back. In both cases these people were belligerent and rude and one of them actually claimed she was being nice!  If that's her nice then I don't want to experience what she's like when she's rude. I asked her not to speak to me again after I stood back (note, I did what she asked), but not once did she think to simply say "Excuse me, could you please move back a little bit? seems you're in front of the line" instead of practically yelling "YOU NEED TO STAND BACK, GO BEHIND THE LINE. GO" okay that is not nice. But like I said, when I asked her not to speak to me again she claimed she was from some health authority, demanded I not argue with her and eventually told me to shut up.  We won't go into the kind of response SHE got from me, because as you know, COVID or not...you should always be nice to people.

Your thoughts? 

Just always be polite. It doesn't cost you anything.

My thoughts?

I'm not going to read that absolute WALL of text.

Have you never heard of paragraphs and line breaks?

Wow, I disagree with most answers.  These are the dreaded Karens, and I see nothing wrong in responding however you want.  (Technically, per etiquette, that's wrong, but some of these people are insufferable.  They're miserable hags on power trips).

I'm like you, in that I'm always polite to people.  But don't tread on me.  I've had 4 encounters with them, including one who purposely rammed her cart into the back of my ankle.  Ouch!  Another one crossed the street to yell at me for wearing my mask around my neck when I was walking to the store.  Not another person in sight.  

as someone who is in a job that deal with shoppers all the time, be mindful some of them are extremely paranoid, and will react at the slightest, when your inching too close to them, if you escalate first then they will respond in kind. let them freak out a little.

shes saying shes from the health authority, but of what? what agency, what government agency is she from. If she was really one, she does not need to say that. if push comes to shove, you can ask her for her government id. shes probably doing that because she is in the wrong in that situation and probably overcompensating for being wrong.

• Daisy

People are on edge.  Very small things set them off.  Try not to be the instigator.

The woman who said she was from some health authority probably wasn't-- unless she showed you her work badge or ID.  Either way, shouting at someone is not what a professional does.

Sometimes, it pays just to follow the rules and get out of the store.   These people won't be happy no matter what.  

If it still bothers you, you can ask to speak to the manager. Perhaps he/she can talk about it without flying off the handle. 

You are being oversensitive about yourself and under-sensitive about other people.  Of course, you are correct that it would be a wonderful wonder if everyone used please and thank you. 

That noted, people are STRESSED OUT.  Intentionally or not, you didn't follow the spacing on the floor.  The person reacted and was abrupt to you.  You chose to escalate the issue rather than trying to defuse it.  You could have just moved back and say "sorry."  Why did you feel the need to justify yourself or to be confrontational?  You are upset now because you felt embarrassed and disrespected.  Let it go.  And stay behind the line. 

If everyone would wear their damn masks like they are supposed to, it wouldn't matter if you exactly 6 feet away.

• denise

Yes, you should be nice, courtesy costs nothing.

Early into the outbreak, a woman was very abrupt with me while she was getting off the bus, just saying ' get back!' and waving me away, while I was waiting to get on the bus, and I was not that close to her!, rudeness is just not necessary!, Naturally, I stood further back, to let her by, as I'm too polite to answer aggressively.

At this unique time of our lives, many people are fearful and anxious, and this is manifesting in being abrupt/aggressive with their behavior when engaging with other people.  Many people are seeking some form of control in their lives and so this woman perhaps felt if she could take 'command' of you, this somehow would make her feel better internally.  Globally, we all require more patience and more compassion right now.

i think they need to be polite about it too