Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Psychiatrist Psychiatrist  Question ?

How do you find the right psychiatrist?

How do you know if you match up?

What’s the first meeting should be?

Coming from a GAD anxiety bad person.

Update:

Are you supposed to worry if they like you?

Are you supposed to give them your life history?

Are you supposed to tell them your previous doctors? What’s wrong and right for a long term one and of course it will be vidio chat of the COVID-19

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

As a starting point, have an in-depth conversation with your GP and ask for a referral.  As a potential patient, you are within your rights to ask as many questions as is comfortable for you, as they key to any patient/psychiatrist relationship is the rapport and connection created between them.  The first meeting will be you providing your backstory and explaining why you want this type of professional support.  You give as much or as little information as is comfortable for you, and there is no obligation to reveal all aspects of your personal journey.  Take the first important step and speak with your GP.  Also, reach out to family and a close friend so you do not feel alone on this journey.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You shouldn't really worry too much about your psychiatrist and worry about your psychologist/therapist. 

Especially with GAD.

Regular exercise plus eating only whole foods will fix most current cases of GAD.

But I understand that you won't try it. 

• 2 months ago

Are you saying that you have a Generalized Anxiety Disorder and you are a bad person?  And so you have GAD and you are a sociopath with an Antisocial Personality Disorder?

If so, you might be better off with a psychologist who specializes in complex Personality Disorders because your main course of treatment will be to work hard and learn better coping skills and life skills.  You have to be ready to change and be willing to work hard at it. 

Are they supposed to like you?  No.  But they should respect you as a patient who is ready to work on changing and learning. 

Are you supposed to give them your life history?  To some extent, yes.  Your personality was learned by the time you were 4 and thus your upbringing and your current social history are important to your diagnosis. 

Previous doctors?  Not unless your previous doctors did psychological testing for you, then the results may aid your new therapist.

Again, you are vague by what you mean when you say "BAD PERSON" when referring to yourself.  But if you are a sociopath, finding the type of therapist who can help you and work with you long term, could be difficult.  And so first meeting, I would ask.

• 2 months ago

Treatment usually begins with a visit to the family doctor, who can give you a referral. I have a feeling that your doctor would refer you to a clinical psychologist, but that's just a guess. I'll explain the difference between these two professionals. 

Clinical psychologists deal with acute problems such as major depression and panic disorder, most often using short-term therapy - a cognitive-behavioral therapy program. Psychiatrists are doctors and can prescribe. The therapy a psychiatrist offers is generally long-term therapy for people with complicated problems, such as personality disorders and multiple disorders. Sometimes the two professionals work together, the psychologist providing therapy and the psychiatrist dealing with prescriptions.

If the professional is any good, liking or not liking has nothing to do with it.

The one who would want your life story is the psychiatrist. These people deal with analysis of personalities, so childhoods are important to them.

I don't know how much detail they would want to know about previous doctors.

I can give you a source you might find useful. Legally, a therapist can work over the phone with anybody in the same state. Some insurance companies cover phone therapy. You can use the Psychology Today Find a Therapist feature to get a list of therapists in your state, find out who’s working by phone, and what kinds of problems they specialize in.

This video might be helpful -

“How to seek therapy”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoaQIQZU1k

Youtube thumbnail

&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH7AIwIDDHCxx4SIApFQbc6R

Treatments for anxiety range from therapy and medication to simple stress reduction methods. Don't overlook stress reduction, which can help even with very bad anxiety. 

I've written a lot of anxiety answers, with advice from experts, and you're welcome to click on my name and read. These two were rated Best, 5 Stars.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.