If you took the alcubierre warp drive and flew 66 million light years away from Earth, turned around, had a telescope powerful enough to...?

... view Earth and the ground beneath our atmosphere and looked through it, could you watch the dinosaurs die by the meteor that struck roughly 66 million years ago (given you could pin point the moment that the meteor struck)?

In theory yes, because with the alcubierre warp drive you would exceed the speed of light. The event that took place 66 million years ago, that impact, was visible from space if you were close by. The light emitted by this event went into space. So if you took your Warp ship, you basically pass by the light beam containing this information and yes, in theory it would be possible to capture that light and see the actual events as it took place. But keep in mind that, even with the alcubierre warp drive you will not get that fast to a distance of 66 million light years. In Star Trek Voyager at maximum warp it would have taken the crew 75 years to get back home, that would be warp 9,9 over a distance of 'just' 70,000 light years.

probably, that depend on the direction and destination you choose in the universe

Well, first, you couldn't travel there to see the dinosaurs... you'd have to instantly appear there.  Your travel time means the light that left Earth 65/66 million years ago will already have passed through that point by the time you get there in your space ship; so, you'd have to travel *further out* to see the dinosaurs on Earth. 

You would see the alien ships swoop in to harvest all the dinosaurs, then explode an iridium bomb to make it look like a natural disaster.

Watch out for the arrival of more alien ships to do harvesting of the humans.

• Nyx

Yup, just how we're currently able to see out 66 million light-years away to other star systems.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2018/hu...

You would need a Primary Lens as wide as our Solar System

And where did I leave my Glasses ?

No.  Visible light has a minimum wavelength of about 300 nanometres.  An object subtending less than about a fifth of a minute of arc is not conventionally resolvable, although there can be other ways.  For Earth, that corresponds to a distance of less than a light year.  It is possible to image planets below that resolution but even then only due to gravitational lensing or well within this Galaxy (e.g. Fomalhaut has a visible planet but it's only twenty-five light years away.

You right to think that if one could travel faster than light , and then stop, one could "look back" and watch history unfold .

We already do something similar ,when we look into the night sky and see stars and galaxies as they once were . 

• ANDY

The hypothetical (speculative) Alcubierre drive does not speak of an instantaneous transfer from one place to another in space. It only says obtaining a virtual speed faster than light.

So what you are saying could be true only if you instantaneously are transferred 66 million light years away from Earth.

But let us assume that an intelligent life is at that distance and could, with their powerful telescopes, observe what's happening on Earth, then THEY would witness the event.

I don't know about some weird "drive", but if I had a handful of fairy dust that I could sprinkle and it would immediately whizz me off 66 million light years away, I would be in big trouble.

To start with, 66 million light years would put me outside the boundary of the local supercluster of galaxies. So the Milky Way galaxy would be nothing more than a small fuzzy blob of light that even the Hubble Telescope could not resolve into individual stars. What's worse, the local supercluster contains about five thousand galaxies, each of which contains several hundred billion stars. So where does one start to look?

As if that is not problem enough, galaxies contain a lot of dust and gas which would badly obscure our part of the galaxy even if it was possible to locate it. Even being able to pick out our sun would require something vastly bigger than Hubble, and the Earth would be lost in the glare of the sun and would therefore be invisible.

I think a more practical problem would be more worth solving. I would use the spare handful of fairy dust in my pocket to instantly return back to Earth, get something cool to drink, relax on the beach, and get my dinosaur fix by reading a good pictorial textbook about dinosaurs.