S asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesBMW · 2 months ago

Fair Value of 1998 BMW 328i Convertible Automatic? 43,000 Miles.?

Fair Value of 1998 BMW 328i Convertible Automatic? 43,000 Miles.

Black with black leather interior and sport package.  Well maintained by older owner. Very good condition.  Have a 2017 M240i xDrive and looking to add an older BMW to the fleet. They are asking $6,000.

DEAR GOD! I would buy that car in a HEARTBEAT! I ha e restored ( BLUEPRINTED ) forty or so BMWS and I al3ways have RESPECT FOR THEM! They are made to last THIRTY YEARS< and RARELY break! >>YOU CANNOT EVER use VALVOLINE IN THEM< though! youmust uase LONG LIFE LL-01/LL-03 oil ONLY or sludge wil build up and you will have a MESS on your hands! EUROEPAN cars have ALWAYS been the site set by other car makers! NOW< even FORD has the EDFGE< that is HALF FORD and HALF AUDI! the fusion IS half ford AND half Mazda!. the BMW HAS USAED piston oil spray squirters NOW FOR forty ' YEARS! tHIS PROTECTS ENGIEN FROM SELF DESTRUCTING AND ALLOS higher ENGIEN SPEEDS safely AS FRICTION IS reduced AND engine life IS PROLONGED ! expect 500,000 FROM THIS CAR! install dens twin tip iridisum laser PLUGS, THO! CHANGE all fluids EVEN brake FLUID AT 100K INTERVALS! all fluids IN all CARS WEAR OUT WITH TIME! you must CHANGE THE trans fluid EVERY 100,000  IELS IAS WELL USIGN THE factory FLUIDS, FROM zf OR F4ROM pentosin COMPANY! zf TRANNIES AND STEERING SYSTEM S ARE FOUND now NON NEARLY all cars MADE ANYWHERE. zf IS the NUMBER ONE steering AND trans BUILDER IN THE world! CARS with SHIFT paddles are either ZF or AISIN WARNER items! GOOD LUCK and I WOULD JUMP On this car NOW!

Not worth more than $4500. Offer that & ask if they  have title & maintenance records. The M240 is worth  about $32,000

600 is better. how do you plan on replacing the iron stolen to make the piece of junk? 

$6,400 is the high point of the private party value in my area. Low end is $3,600.  Median value is $5k.  I wouldn't buy at any price without having MY mechanic go over it to see what it needs - will need within the next year or less. Any resistance from the seller on you doing that, walk.

• garry

depends on the condition , milage , has it been regulary serviced , seat torn or worn , private or dealer . car guarantee . lots of factors , if you think the car is worth %5,00 or is it worth less , me i wouldnt touch a car older than 10 years , older and you are looking for trouble . 

WHERE matters.  A car valued at $10,000 in one place is valued at $2,000 in another.

I trade my BMWs every 3 years due to the high cost of repairs.

i wouldn't get something that  old. parts could be hard to get for it in a few years. the convertible top would be expensive to fix if it broke. i'd get a newer corolla or honda or something with the same money.

• Jay P

There really isn't anything to compare it to and get a sense of value or fair price.  It's a 20+ year old vehicle but with mileage closer to a 3-4 year vehicle.

Just keep in mind that even though it has very low mileage, all those seals, electrical components, bushings, etc., etc., etc, could still be original.  Those can be expensive, and difficult, to source.

Pretty hard to figure 22 years old with 43,000 miles.  Not much to directly compare to.  I would guess closer to $3500 would be possible, but if it is really good and just what you want  the $6000 would not be too unreasonable.  

There are websites that can help you with that.