Is it totally safe for a woman and her 5 year old daughter to travel from Long Beach,Ca. To Palm Springs,Ca. For a 2 day vacation?

My husband will be going on a fishing trip for 4 days, about 5-6 hours distance from where will be. He doesn't think it's safe for us to go. I feel confident.

I'd be more afraid of Long Beach than Palm Springs. Recently based on my experience, Palm Springs gets its share of burglaries, invasions, theft. I had my car broken into. Everything was stolen. Hide your valuables, and be aware of your surroundings. Keep your child with you. Don't let her go off by herself. Perverts are everywhere. The poor do terrible out there because there just isn't much out there. It's desolate. For the rich, it's a desert oasis heaven.. These days the fires have marred and polluted it with smoke.

• drip

Use your own common sense. Be aware of your surroundings. Stay in populated areas. 

My husband travels frequently for business. I have been on vacation with kids without him several times. I have driven with the kids 4/6 hours to visit relatives. 

Right now I wouldn’t be taking my 2 year old anywhere.

Lolol @ ur hubby, though I'm loving his protective vibe. I will never use the words "totally safe" as that implies zero risk, when yes, u could get in a car accident and yes, your car could break down and this Sat & Sun it'll be 120 in Palm Springs We have our own heat wave in SFV of L.A. too where it'll be 112 degrees Sat & Sun.

So, all your husband is picturing is the love of his life and his precious baby girl, stranded on the side of the road, with no cell service because your not near a cell tower, and Kenny Kidnapper driving by on his furious escape from prison and stops to take you and his precious baby girl as hostage never to see you again.

Meanwhile, pack a cooler of ice cubes(just to be safe as you can quickly, especially your baby, have heat related illness should something happen with your vehicle until u get assistance. It's a pretty straightforward drive, if u want an easy drive avoid the 60 and instead take 105 to 605 to 10. Leave mid morning, around 9 to 12. Spend most of your time in the second lane from the right. Palm Springs is a small town. Its really chill with lots of boutique hotels and I feel extremely comfortable and relaxed while there. Hell, I feel safer there than L.A. Even Palm Springs' less than stellar, small motels have a relaxed, non death feeling feel. Its not like you are going during Coachella. If you want to feel extra, extra safe, have a big pool, and dont want a luxury hotel, try Fantasy Springs Resort in Indio(25 minutes from Palm Springs) and u will be surrounded by kids and families. If someone wants to kill you, hundreds of people just let the guy do it and no one stopped him, highly unlikely. 

I feel you will be fine. Always stay alert no matter if you are in Beverly Hills or Hole In the Wall, Wisconsin, population 12 where people still sleep with the doors unlocked. All crime needs is an opportunity. 

Yet, again, I love your dear hubby for looking out for his precious cargo. Good guy!!!

I travel alone, driving long distances, all the time--such as from Southern Nevada to San Jose, California--and it is perfectly safe in my own car. Use precautions: use disposable gloves to pump gas and then toss the gloves out; wear your mask in all business (it's the law). As for crime, Palm Springs has a high population of retired people, and it is a safe place--safer than Los Angeles. Stay in the best hotel you can afford; it is more likely to be safer if it's in an upscale area. Stay away from strangers; don't walk by vans. Common sense prevails. I've been travelling alone for the past 4 decades--all over the US and the world--and you need to be cautious but not paranoid. 

It's not totally safe under normal conditions; accidents can happen. Now, there's the added risk of the pandemic to consider.

if he don't think it's safe don't go

let him go and enjoy himself

• Foofa

If you can find a place that's open to stay in Palm Springs I don't know why this would be a problem. One assumes you're driving in a private car (as a lot of the other options would be closed owing to COVID-19). Some friends of ours found a willing AirBnB in PS about a month ago and they had a great time. 

Safe in what sense?   Covid is one thing which you have to decide on for yourself.  Personally, if I were keeping my same 'safeness' there as I was at home I'd be fine with it.  Otherwise, there's travel and where you're hanging out in Palm Springs.  It's only a few hours away even with traffic.  Unless you are a horrible driver, there is no reason to say it's not safe.  Palm Springs itself is also very safe (although rather hot right now.)  

Seems like an over protective spouse to me.

if you practice the same social & preventative things you are doing now, it should be. You are driving (safe) and then you should mask, wash, distance like at home. Always a risk anywhere you are however. Its important where you are staying to make that is sanitized