Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesBMW · 2 months ago

Would it be dumb to buy a used bmw working a minimum wage job?

I always wanted a bmw 3 series probably the f30 between the years 2012-2018. I have found some on craigslist under $20k.I currently drive a old toyota corolla that is falling apart from rust and wanting to replace it soon. Would this be a dumb idea?

Im looking at a 2015 bmw 328i xdrive with 64500 miles for$16,500

NOT at ALL:! I recommend it! BMW cars typically last for THIRTY YEARS! They are made from BETTER METALS< lilke other EUREROPAN cars are! The ENGIENS are nearly BULLET PROOF< and contain PISTON OIL SPRAY JETS< that focus CLEAN EUREOPAN SYNTHETIC  OIL at the WRIST PINS and SKIRTS of pistons allowing HIGHER engine speeds with NO engine wear perceived!.BMW Abd AUDI are like COUSINS in many wats They sue the SAME suppliers as does BENZ! I recently got my hands on a 1980 BMW convertible with the FAMOUS BMW straight six in it! WHAT a JOY! iT HANDLES LIKE A race car AND GETS awesome Mileage! they ARE made TO LAST AND ARE ACTUALY very cheap TO Own EH brakes LAST FOR 200,000 MIERLS AT A TIME>>>but there are rules>>> YOU must USE ONLY long life< LL-01,ll-03 fully euro synth oil AND CHANGE IT once A YEAR! you MSUT USE only European grade FLUIDFS AND power flush TEH brake fluids EVERY 2-3 YEARS! you must CHANGE THE trans FLUIID EVERY 100,000  ILES! I HAVE RESTOARED fity OR MORE euro CARS INCLUDINT  BMW CARS! They are DIESINGED TO LAST>. GM cars, for example eat up TIMIN CHAISN bvy 100,000 MIELS< while the BNMW AUDI and BENZ cars keep a GOIN!  FORD is also EXC$ELLENT NOW that thy featur4e mostly EUROEPAN engineering in ALL their line ups! The MUSTANG engine and suspension coped form AUDI< ae a true MARVEL! I am PROUDF of FORD and their way of doing things! 

• fuzzy

If you cant pay cash, dont buy a car - you'll still be paying it off after it's gone, especially an older car with a reputation for very expensive repairs & parts.

Public transport, walking, push bike, scooter or motorcycle are all much cheaper

• F

Dumb to try and run any car on minimum wage. That’s what the bus is for.

IDK. "Dumb" as in foolish, maybe. But, it's your decision. I personally avoid Euro cars. Unless I want a toy like a '68 E-type .I would Also have my '15 Mazda   3 so I'd have Something reliable. Beemers are notorious for $1,000 hoses and stuff that takes 6 weeks to get.. Min wage was $1.65 /hr when  I was 16, went up to"$3.50 when I was 23, I hear tell it is now  $10 in some places.  I don't make that much  on SSI.

When I made min wage ($3.50) I HAD to drive to work, NO bus service to it..But, gas was 78 cents/gal/regular.

Some of here ride motorcycles, and Crash Them, so who is "dumb"? At least the BummW has a cage surrounding it..

"Insurance quote ?"" My Crystal Ball has gone dark. U might be 64, for all We know.

BMW's are expensive to own and maintain. You'll be looking at your vehicle in the driveway most of the time while you try saving your paychecks to pay to repair it.

yeah. dumb as ****. get a newer corolla or a hyundai accent.

Yes, it would be totally foolish. Don't even THINK  of trying to purchase a car that costs more than 1/3 of your annual gross income. If you gross $20,000 then you can't really afford a car that costs over $6500. 

i dont think so

I don't think it's the type of wage that matters as much as whether or not the person is smart with their money afterwards like - is this their one big splurge?

I think dumb ideas are ones that are mathematically impractical, but that being said a big factor is where the other money is (or will be) spent.

If a person that makes a lot of money buys a cheap car, but spends the rest of their paycheck like water then any buying decision could be a dumb idea. 

My $0.02. 

(BTW what are the miles on it and prior history?)

Yes it would be dumb.  Just try getting an insurance quote first.