fhvg asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Its my son's teacher birthday ?

its my son's teacher birthday and not sure if its ok to give money in an envelope? Like 50 dollars 

Um unless you are close friends with your son's teacher that may be very very weird.

• Sathi

Unless the teacher is a friend, I wouldn't give him/her anything. My dad was a teacher. I'd have thought it was bizarre if a parent gave him a gift or b-day card.

Noooooooooo........

NO NO NO NO NO.

You should NEVER give money to a teacher. If you MUST give something of the kind, make it a gift voucher but it should only be a gesture: $50 is WAY too much. Something more like the price of a really good cup of coffee and a slice of cake at the best cafe in town.But really: just a birthday card would be absolutely fine for most teachers. Giving presents to teachers can so easily get out of hand.

Giving money to a teacher is TACKY.

• Elaine

It's completely inappropriate.  

• drip

That would be weird.   Cash is not appropriate. 

Get a gift card. And the amount seems a bit high to me.

NOT okay !! ... and the contraction of IT IS needs an apostrophe

Generally, its ok and probably very much appreciated. There are some places where a gift over a certain amount can not be accepted. This isn't that common (or at least commonly enforced) but perhaps something to be aware of especially if the teacher says they can not accept the gift. If that happens to be the case where you are, you can give a gift card and say "for classroom supplies" or similar.

It totally depends upon your will how much you wish to gift him, it's not about gifts it about giving respect to the teacher. it's okay if you give him some gifts or cash gift.

thats up to you, i dont see anything wrong with it