Would if be safe to take a 5-325 hydrocodone only 2 hours after taking a 800mg ibuprofen?

I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday and I took an ibuprofen this morning, but it hasn't lessened my pain at all. Would taking a lortab/hydrocodone earlier than normal hurt me?

honestly when I have to take multiple pain relievers I always follow these rules. 1. never at the same time 2. At least 6 hours before taking a different med. you could do ibuprofen then wait 6 hours and take another med

• Lili

You can take ibuprofen and an opioid at the same time, though that's rather a lot of ibuprofen.  A prescription dose is normally 600 mg.

Do not take MORE of a prescribed medication than the label says you should in a 24 hour period.

I found I didn't need more than ibuprofen after dental surgery or after major surgery I had 2 years ago.  Hydrocodone is awfully strong medication for wisdom-tooth removal.

Brittany, take the medication as it says on the bottle. good luck and feel better.

• Jim

Yes- it's perfectly safe  as they are two different types of pain relievers.

• Andy C

Probably not,  so I hope you get some good sleep. 

Drug dreams can be crazy.

Hi Brittany, I am a pharmacy intern and I recommend you take the medication as prescribed on the label on your prescription bottle. You can use both hydrocodone and ibuprofen at the same time if you are not having pain relief with either medication alone because the two medications work differently in the body. Do not take additional Tylenol with the hydrocodone because it is already contained in the medicine. Be aware that the hydrocodone may cause some drowsiness and constipation. Do not take more doses of hydrocodone per day than your prescription label states (usually up to 8 doses a day) and do not take more than 3,200mg of ibuprofen per day. Hope this helps!

Source(s): Lexicomp

It's absolutely fine to take them at the same time if you so choose. Opioids, acetaminophen and NSAIDs (the ibuprofen) can all be safely taken together at the maximum dose as they are metabolised and work in different ways.

• kelvin

no................

• ?

Tylenol and ibuprofen can be taken alternating every two hours some say.  I have alwasy stuck with at least four hours. Your dosages are higher then the normal dose. I'd try to stick it out with ICE for a couple of hours on and off every 15 minutes.

I hope you did that yesterday, all day, it is the best thing to shorten recovery and lesson pain during the recovery time.

Both can damage the stomach, as well as contribute to liver issues. I was prescribed 800mg ibuprofen for a few years, ended up with stomach damage, once messed up, it's there to stay.

• Marc

If you can wait another 2 hours do it.  Doing it once is not a big deal and wont hurt you, but you dont want to overlap on a regular basis.  The best way to get an answer to something like this is to call the doctor that prescribed you.