I put in my notice from my job. They want me to sign a termination release - do I need to sign?

In the release it doesn’t clarify that I quit. I don’t want anything to imply that I was fired just in case it will affect me in the future. Should I sign? Why isn’t my resignation letter enough?

• Alex

I don't know what this termination release is, but what I will say is that you should carefully read anything they ask you to sign, and if you are uncomfortable with ANY of it, refuse to sign it.  They cannot legally withhold your pay.  They can threaten to. But you can threaten them right back to make their lives difficult with legal action.

You don't have to. Its just a release so you don't sue them later on. If you wrote a resignation letter it sort of serves as the same thing without releasing them from any claims.

• danxp2

Maybe HR needs their specific form so they can press their specific button to help terminate you out of ther system. We cannot answer why the resignation letter is not enough. We cannot read this form so we cannot advice you to sign it or not. If you are unsure you can ask HR/manager about this, or get a consult from a local employment attorney.