Why do atheists say that they don't follow a religion? Haven't they read the dictionary?
RELIGION IS... the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.... that applies to atheism and evolutionism.... how come they deny that????
- ✞ 2 ...hunterLv 71 month agoFavourite answer
a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
"consumerism is the new religion
They've invested so much time into religion is bad that they can't accept they belong to one.
- antoniusLv 71 month ago
1) Evolution is one thing and 2) atheism is yet a different thing. Atheism is not a religion and does not have any set of belief nor practices. Most atheists just do not accept religions nor a belief in a god. @+2 hunter, you could not be more wrong if you tried. That does not work; just because you have been fooled to believe in a religion you now hope that all persons will join you so that you will not look so foolish. @Steven, people do not practice science, we study it. Religion and science are as much the same as sheep are to fish.
- darkvelvetrainLv 71 month ago
Atheism is the nonbelief in gods. There are no set belief systems nor any ritualistic practices. A Buddhist who doesn't believe in gods is just as atheistic as any other.
Evolution is a demonstrated scientific theory that shows that species differentiate over time. It has nothing to do with ones beliefs in deities. Most people who accept evolution are religious.
Religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. " Atheists do not believe or worship any superhuman controlling power.
- PaulLv 71 month ago
So science is a religion? Biological evolution is just one small part of science. Is astronomy a religion? Physics? Chemistry? They all involve a collection of "beliefs" and practices.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous1 month ago
set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
- Bulldog reduxLv 71 month ago
I confess, I confess! I believe in empirical evidence, so I'm a devout . . .what? A devout religionist maybe. But maybe someday I'll stop believing in empirical evidence and start believing in anecdotal evidence. And that will become my new religion. I can be a Jehovah's Witness or even a QAnon believer.
- RichardLv 61 month ago
Not sure how evolution is relevant to not believing in supernatural deities.
- CowboyLv 61 month ago
actual religions practice rituals and are, universally, scientifically illiterate.....
- Phil MLv 71 month ago
Over time the exact definition of some words in the dictionary can become fuzzy to most people. It is quite common for some words to take on an entirely new meaning to the majority of the population. Religion is not the only word this has happened to. Do you feel some sort of personal victory calling atheism a religion while most people feel that religion requires a higher power? Does it make you feel smarter in some way? No matter what you say about atheists, none of it makes god real.
- StevenLv 41 month ago
They do believe that there is no evidence for a God. And they do practice science. So yes they do have a religion. In the case of Christianity Jesus calls true religion something else entirely.
- Anonymous1 month ago
They deny everything. They will deny that they deny.