Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Who do I talk to if my landlord doesn't return my security deposit?

in the time alloted on my lease, or at least give a reason why they haven't returned it. 

@L

So what does that have to do with my question?

@garry

Read the question garry. 

You can talk to a lawyer, to sue for you - costly, or you can talk to nobody and sue in Small Claims Court.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

You either get an attorney to contact the landlord, or you file against the landlord in small claims court. 

• garry

another dumb question , god help me , ok he doesnt keep your security deposit , trust account does , and also have you left the place , with no damage or payed you lease out , usually deposits are put in a trust account so neither you or the landlord cant touch it , until you lease runs out and the property is checked . that way its nice and legal .

Call the landlord.  If he dodges you then you need to take him to court to get the money.

I would first contact my ex landlord and find out what he has to say and if this is not satisfactory I'd contact a proper agency to file a complaint. Here in the U.S. a few cities have a renters office to handle this, otherwise you'd go to either the State Consumer Protection office or the Attorney Generals office for your state.

• L

Security Deposit returns are determined by the condition of the unit when a renter leaves the place; if tons of repairs must be made - then those costs are deducted from the Security Deposit.

• R P

Google and read the landlord/tenant laws for your state.  You will find your answer in the section thst talks about security deposits.

If you do not understand the law as it is written, contact your landlord in writing to request the return of your security deposit. Be sure you give him your current address so that he knows where to send it.

Source(s): FL landlord

First, notify the landlord that you have not received return of your deposit on time as required by law/lease. Make sure they have a proper mailing address to mail the check & statement. Give a time limit, say "receive within 10 days," and then notify Consumer Protection Division of the Secretary of the State in the state where you live.

No one to talk to.  Sue him in small claims court.

Your landlord. If they refuse you have to sue.