do a lot of teachers spend all their free time working?

creating lecture notes, creating and grading assignments, entering grades, adjusting grades, answering emails, etc?

• donnie

I would say being a teacher is one of those things that’s not just a job, and not just a career, but a lifestyle 

I think the teachers who are still new spend more of their ferre time working and preparing materials , searching for new methods, etc

In southern Britain, my daughter does spend a lot of her free time working on all sorts of school matters.  In fact she works a nominal 4-day-week, but in practice works at least 5 days' worth.

• F

Ha, ha, ha!     

That is not free time since they have responsibility to finish school administration. They get their free time when they don't have any responsibilities from school work and their side gig.

• edward

My sister had a boyfriend who spent his time after school tutoring.

A conscientious teacher spends a lot, but not usually "all", of their free time working.

Not all of their free time, but much more than most people think. And for the other poster, vacation is not paid for. Teachers don't get paid in the summer. Some places may spread paychecks out so teachers do have regular income.

And anonymous also makes up this lie an puts it on the internet. Both of my parents were teachers in 1967 and made less than $10,000 combined. His claim of teachers making $36K in 1967 is ridiculous. But even if it was true, there are still teachers today  makes LESS than $36K. That is over 50 YEARS later. Like Trump, this poster keeps promoting a lie hoping to convince people it is true.

Teacher's so claim, but don't mention their 3 months of PAID "Vacation" every year.

The poor dears are so Under paid, for sitting at their desk and playing movies for the class everyday.

You would think that the Children's Grades would be a form of also grading the teacher's ability. But No, that is the Child's inability to learn.

My greatest memory of my working days as a Hotel Houseman, was the Teacher's Convention.

A woman was bawling her eyes out, in the lobby, sobbing about how she needed a Raise, because she could not live on a mere 36,000$US a year salary.  c.1967  [I was struck dumb; I was making $1.25 an hour on a 48 hour week.]

• Lili

Yes, of course. How else would all that get done?

So, it's not actually "free time".

I'm a college professor. I estimate that for every hour of classroom time, I spend several more hours preparing.  A new class takes more time; one I've taught before takes less, but I still have to update it.  And then there are all the administrative tasks that have to be done, some of which you list, plus serving in an administrative capacity for the department or university.

Elementary and high school teachers are in class almost all day, and they've got all those administrative tasks, plus parent-teacher meetings, staff meetings, etc.  And many teach summer school, so they don't actually get the summers off, or they go to school themselves to acquire graduate degrees or extra knowledge and qualifications. Professors often teach in summer school, too.