Really struggling with Music Theory?

I'm starting a music course online but I find my music theory is very poor and just hard to wrap my head around it. 

I can do basic sight reading but understanding terminology with Music and why certain notes are used here and why notes are in a certain key etc.

I've a book ordered called 'Music Theory for Dummies' but what is the best way to learn music theory and easy way to pick up and understand? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I have multiple undergrad and grad music degrees, most of them in Music Theory.  Nothing is as good as a live teacher - you get immediate feedback and guidance. Many students - and I give you a lot of credit for trying this on your own! - look ahead to things that are beyond what they can master in smaller bites.  Start with the basic notation - move on to scales, majors first.  Leave the minors for a bit . . . Then learn how to write triads - three note chords.  Leave all the seventh chords, etc. for a bit..  then go back and pick up the minor scales (yeah / all 3 forms ) - then lean his to create chords in minor keys.  This week take several weeks or more, if you do it right.  I learned a lot in my own before I even got into college as a music major - and the staff was so impressed they told me I should MAJOR in Theory!  I had no idea they was such a thing!  But glad it fell on me!!  Then great teachers took me far.   So stay slow and small - you will get there.

• Nick

It's all about ratios. Make yourself a little transposition double wheel and keep it around as you study.

• snafu

Lots of YouTube videos to do with music theory