Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Is it true that traveling with small children virtually guarantees you will not be bumped from a flight?

I'm not traveling now due to the pandemic, but once the pandemic winds down, I was wondering if this factor gives me the greatest leg up that there is.

I am a single dad, with two children aged 7 and 9.

I believe that gives me two benefits, regardless if seat assignments, check in times, etc. Tell me if my analyses is true.

1. We are a party that cannot be separated. I obviously can't send my children onward to the next city without me, and I obviously cannot board the flight myself while leaving my children at the departure airport alone to wait for the next flight.

They would have to bump all of us or none of us.

2. Even if the flight is oversold by exactly 3 seats, and we are a party of 3, it still seems like it would be in poor form to bump a party with small children, leaving the children to get increasingly restless and worried in the airport.

I would think they would instead bump 3 adult travelers who don't have kids with them, as there would be no benefit to the airline in bumping a party with children instead, and the airline probably likes to choose it's battles wisely, doesn't want a bad reputation for stressing out children.

Is it safe to say that regardless of all other things that ordinarily effect the pecking order, that if we get there in time to board, then we're getting on the flight? 

• RICK

No it does not prevent you from being bumped and what airlines consider small children are "babies in arms" not those that have their own seats

User "I Like Stories"  is good. Bumping does not happen much. Mostly people will volunteer their seats for the goodies that is offered.

However (pessimistically), should you be bumped, the kids go with you. Children does not offer an insurance policy.

Source(s): Work part-time at an airport.

If they DO bump you and your kids, the airline certainly won't spend even ten seconds worrying about your kids getting "increasingly restless and worried in the airport". If they spend even ten seconds on this issue, they'll reckon - correctly - that this is YOUR problem, as their parent.

They might also spend a fleeting moment wondering why a parent wouldn't take the extra time and trouble to get his children to the airport in good time NOT to get bumped.

• Neil

No. And "small children" does not mean 7 & 9.

Tell me if my analyses is true. NO

There is no GUARANTEED 100% way.

They would have to bump all of us or none of us. In your situation true.

They bump whoever they bump. NO ONE likes to be bumped and everyone else thinks their need for the seat is the most important.

Of course a group of three could get some creative bonus for taking next flight that may make it worth it to you for future flights.

Bumping does not and never was an every flight experience. It happens.

With Covid 19 issues it is not much of a concern like in the past .The planes are not yet FULL all the time.

if we get there in time to board,??? WHY are you aiming for the last minute?

Do you seriously think gate staff take great joy needing to bump a passenger?

It happens and if you are nice about it and volunteer the compensation could be a lot for  an extra few hours getting to destination.

So for your flight it is perfectly okay for my mother to be left behind while I worry for her arrival.

My buddy is waiting for his brother he has not seen for years . For you his worry is meaningless as you get a privileged pass.

Oh gosh there is a guy with flowers and a ring box he is waiting for hours and hours more is just fine for you and your children.

CRAP happens and you deal with it if necessary.

Of course you already know the bumping rate pre pandemic was less than 1 in ten thousand passengers.or about one every 50 flights.

Many factors are considered and the age of passenger is low on the list.

anonymous says it well.

If you think the airline gives two shits about you, you're a fool. An airline will do whatever the hell it wants to and you can go piss on social media all you want.  They'll drag your *** and kids off the plane.  Am I getting through to you?

A.  As of right now, there's no regulation in the US that requires an airline to book parties with children together though most airlines do so automatically and worst case, will be able to accommodate at the gate.  

B.  Bumping is a whole different issue.  But no, you better believe that they will bump a family.  Though each airline has their own policies on how passengers are bumped, it's usually based on who checked in for a flight last.  Other factors such as your final destination are also considered.  If you're on a direct flight, you won't have much leeway.  If you're connecting to an international flight, you'll have more room to argue.  

They don't bump people from flights much anymore.  If they have a problem with oversold seats they ask for volunteers to take a later flight.  In exchange for taking a later flight they get a voucher for a free flight at a future date.  The airlines rarely have problems getting people to volunteer.