Lisa
Lisa asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it negligent homicide?

Imagine someone knows they have Covid or has reason to think they have been exposed to Covid.  If that person puts themselves in a situation in which they are around other people (perhaps a social event or shopping in a store or whatever) and someone catches Covid from them and dies, would you consider that person guilty of negligent homicide?  Why or why not?

Of course, it would be incredibly hard to PROVE that another person got Covid from any one source.  I'm not asking about if that person could be found guilty in a court of law.  I'm asking more from the perspective of personal responsibility.  

The burden of proof would be high.  There eventually WILL be such a lawsuit (I am aware of law firms that have been approached), but, again, I don't know how anyone would get past the standard of proof.

I don't know what you mean by not asking about being found guilty in a court of law but asking from personal responsibility.  You are asking for a personal opinion?

I'd say no.  Why?  I see no deliberate intention AND I don't see a positive person infecting other people who may or may not have immunity.

Would I consider the action to be negligence? Yes.  Negligent homicide?  No.

People who are tested positive for HIV/AIDS and have sex and infect other people (and there's case law in NYS) were not found guilty of negligent homicide if/when the partner died.

If you intentionally spread AIDS you are committing a crime. Why not COVID.

• Foofa

That would probably pretty tough to prove with a virus that has about a 99% survivability rate. But of course knowingly infecting people with anything, even a common cold, is showing a lack of personal responsibility. 

No. 

Everyone should assume everyone else has COVID and act accordingly.

If you get it, it's because YOU were around other people.    You know damn well that if you leave your house to go shopping or to a social event that you could contract the virus from someone else.   If you aren't willing to take that risk, then stay the **** home instead of going to the mall or a party.  

I'm always amused when someone thinks personal responsibility is something that applies to the OTHER person. 

maybe morally but not legally.

over here a thug coughed in a woman's face and said 'now you got covid'.

she died of the virus after.

it was investigated but was determined to not be a crime.