Apartments ruining my credit?

I live in Texas lived in an apartment complex for 2yrs but due to covid lost my job couldn't afford to live their anymore my lease ended in August 2020 and I moved out August 1 2020 I was up to date w my rent but they sent my information to a credit collector because I didn't give 60 days notice before moving out 😑 I did however see the leasing manager and notified her in person that we were moving but she now claims that, that wasn't enough notice and the proper way to give notice so now I have to pay the collector $1000 or live w 7yrs bad credit is their anything I can do about this?HELP!

• Maxi

Don't blame other people, the only person to blame is yourself, you didn't give the correct notice or leave and pay the rent for the correct notice period, so you are to blame, suggest you contact them and off to pay the rent you owe as if the credit agency collect then the cost to you will be much more

You are required to give notice in accordance with state law or your lease.  

You do owe the complex the money, but you may be able to mitigate the negative credit report by writing to the credit bureaus and explaining it. You can append an explanation to your reports. 

Call the collector and arrange for payment. As long as you are paying off the debt, they can't keep that on your report for seven years and it won't necessarily impact ALL your credit debt for that length of time. Even if that  negative info is still on your report, as long as you show you are paying you will not be impacted that severely. There is plenty of information on the credit bureau websites about what to do about negative entries. I suggest you read it thoroughly. 

They're right - you needed to have given the required notice in writing before vacating; just telling the leasing manager in person absolutely doesn't count. 

• R P

If your lease required 60 days notice, then you owe 2 more months' rent.  Nothing you can do to save your credit and landlord reference except pay what you owe.

You should carefully read your lease. If you stayed the full term of your lease, you shouldn’t be required to give 60 days notice. It is just assumed that unless you renew the lease, you must leave at the lease expiration date. The only exception is if there’s a clause in your lease stating that it will automatically become a month to month  if you don’t give notice that you’re leaving. If the lease says you have to give 60 days notice, you probably will just have to pay. If it doesn’t say that, you shouldn’t owe that money. I’m not sure what your remedy is for that in Texas though. Maybe small claims court? I’m not sure how to get an unpaid debt removed from your credit. 

To avoid the bad credit, you have to pay BEFORE they send it to collections.  Once they have already sent it to collections, even if you pay, your credit stays bad.

The pandemic DOES NOT change any landlord tenant laws.  You were still legally required to give proper notice. 

They did nothing wrong.  Notice to vacate is legally required to be in writting.  If the lease or state law requires 60 days then that is not an option.  You did indeed fail to give proper notice to vacate & they have the right to charge you. 

yes you can be required to give 60 days on an expired lease if the lease required it.  IT IS ASSUMED IF YOU DON'T RENEW THE LEASE THAT YOU ARE CONTINUING MONTH TO MONTH in most cases...unless there is an automatic termination clause in the lease...which is rare

you can be the adult you think you are and pay.  if your lease says you need to give 60 days (written) notice, you need to pay for 2 additional months.  paying it off will help....

You have to give 60 days.  But, I have bad news. Even if you pay the $1000,  its still going to affect your credit. Unless they will do a pay for delete and collection agencies can't. Only the apartments can.