What if I can’t close on a house the exact day that’s on the contract?

I’m a nursing student and with COVID they have changed clinical days, I have to work in a hospital the day that is on the contract. I have 3 days that week when it would be possible to sign the closing papers. My real estate agent is saying that it will be a problem and that I can lose the offer. I have been researching and from what I see the day can actually be a bit flexible. I guess my question is what will happen if I can’t close on that day, and would I be able to work with the day of closing?

I was feeling the same way like they’re not on my side. Who should I be speaking with because I did ask if I can talk to someone about it starting now because I don’t like leaving things for last moment but they told me there’s nobody I could talk to right now. I do get a lunch break but it’s half an hour and it’s a 12 hour shift that’s why I can’t go that day. If half an hour is enough I would totally do it then. I will ask if I can sign them before and hold it until that day. Thanks everyone.

They actually wanted me to not work that day but if I don’t then I lose the whole semester which was like $3500 not to say I would have to repeat the whole semester which is almost over and that’s not an option.

Your employer/school needs to be flexible here.

You generally don't have to physically present at the closing as long as you have pre-signed all documents that are required, or you can give a POA to your attorney or realtor to sign for you.

I had a closing on a house and my lawyer went and did it all without me there. I went to her office and signed everything and she billed me for any checks she had to write.

1)  You don't sign on the day of close.   You sign a day or a few days before.   Your presence is not necessary for the actual "closing".   Make sure all your ducks are in a row, the closing agent has everything they need, the loan has underwriting approval, etc. so you can sign a couple days in advance as is standard.

2)  If the transaction does not close by the required date, you are then out of contract and the seller can walk away (or they can agree to extend the date).

3)  Your work schedule should be a non-issue.   Your agent needs to make this happen.  This is what he/she gets paid for.    For pete's sake...send the closing agent to your work and have you sign there on your lunch break if necessary.   

• Eva

Closing generally takes less than an hour. They are scheduled once the attorney gets the clear to close from the bank.  Since it's you and the attorney that agree on a day, the real estate agent really has nothing to say about it.  She's just concerned about collecting her commission.  If you have a scheduling conflict, you can arrange with your attorney to pre-sign the documents and don't even have to be there at the actual closing. The only issue will be if the bank delays the closing.

• Tavy

Why on earth cannot you sign them a few days before and she just holds on to them. Sounds as if she is being difficult. If you were buying in another part of the Country you would not be expected to travel hundreds of miles on the day.

This varies from state to state but many states say “on or about _____ day”. If your contract says that and your state recognizes that language then you might be able to schedule date to a more flexible one. 

Also with such things like closings (unless you are dealing with a purchasing a bank owned property) usually everyone is operating on a friendly manner and is very accommodating unless one side has been taking advantage or abusive to the other throughout the process.

Maybe if you provide proof of funds if there is any question then they will be more flexible or if you are using a lawyer for the closing give him or her authority to close for you.

Your agent sounds he/she is not on your side.  Instead of looking at the options he/she is talking about loosing the deal.  If you can't close early, then ask the seller for an extension.  You have a reasonable reason just don't wait until the last moment to ask.

Tell your agent you need an extension and have him/her prepare the document for and the seller to sign.

Do you get a lunch break?  Could you arrange for the Agent to bring the papers for you to sign?

Could you sign them before the date and the Agent hold them until the actual day?