Is it rude to go to an open house if you have no intention of buying the place?

Me and a buddy were on vacation and we saw an open house for a 6 million dollar penthouse and we just wanted go up to the top floor and check out the view of the city. So we called the real estate agent and he scheduled us a private tour of the place. As soon as he came down to meet us at the door he immediately knew what we were up to but he let us come up anyway. This place was insane it had its own private elevator that was like a bank vault with a pass code to get in. It was 3 floors and the only way I can describe it was kind of like an aquarium in the sky it was full glass and one of the most incredible views I've ever seen. Anyway when we went in there was another agent there and she looked very annoyed. I'm like you guys are getting paid to hang out in a 6 million dollar pent house light up a bit.

Was it wrong for us to visit even though we couldn't afford it and were basically wasting these people's time? For the record there was a sign on the road that said open house so...

Update:

I am aware they aren't being paid to be there but that is part of the job so technically they are being paid just not by the hour. They are paid when it sells for their efforts which includes waiting around all day in a big empty house. When I said private tour that was only because we were the only ones there.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Is it rude? Yes. 

• John
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes, wasting a businessman's time simply for your own entertainment is rude.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

An OPEN HOUSE is not for the benefit of the Seller of that house, but for Realtors/real estate agents  to get buyers to sell any house. 

• 4 weeks ago

No but it is unusual.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

No, not rude. You may have wealthy parents, or praise the place to some rich friends.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, it was wrong to waste his time.  Look up the meaning of the word "rude".  You don't seem to know.

• 4 weeks ago

They aren't paid to hold open houses.  Real estate agents are paid on commission, only when they sell something.

In normal times, it is not rude, because they can show the house to you and to the real customers at the same time so you're not wasting their time.

Right now, due to COVID, it's definitely rude.

• Hannah
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Real estate agents don’t get paid until the property sells.  So no, they were definitely not getting paid.  And most of the time, they hold open houses to meet potential buyers and expand their client base.  You were obviously not a serious buyer, so they knew you guys weren’t being serious and were just there to look.  

You weren’t wasting their time as they had to be there anyway, but they were probably just annoyed that you weren’t serious buyers and were just being looky-loos. 

• 4 weeks ago

when its a private tour, you are wasting their time...when they could have scheduled a serious buyer

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.