? asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

Why did my car stereo head unit start shutting off during heavy bass notes today?

It started off in the morning with the bass not hitting hard in some parts of the song. Then when I left work and arrived at my destination the amp would turn off, then the head unit ended up turning off and on. I play it to the max everyday, sometimes for an extended period of time and have never had a problem like this up until today. The lights on my dash were substantially flickering too. I am pushing 2000 watt rms from my mono block amp and 400 watt rms from my 4 channel. I have the big three wired with zero gauge wiring. I even added an extra 0 gauge ground wire from the alternator to the chassis when installing the stereo system. I also have a DC 270 amp high output alternator and Duralast platinum AGM battery. The battery is 4 months old. 

Battery currently reads 12.60 volts

It is so unusual for added on accessories to act up. Could be a fluke accident. Don't call the place where you got it and please don't google it. 

It could be an impedance mismatch causing the amp to overheat.. Also, your entertainment is taxing 200 amps from the electrical system. The rest of the car uses power too. After everything gets fed, the battery might not be getting its share to maintain its charge. The biggest clue though, is that you blast everyday at max.

Close the windows so you don't need to blast the heater full on and your stereo has a chance to make some good pressure at less than half volume....if you still can hear anything. I suspect you're playing with us.

" I play it to the max everyday, sometimes for an extended period of time "

.

Moron. No wonder everybody hates you.

The voltage is dropping low enough to cause it to shut off and your lights to dim. you need a capacitor to even out the voltage drops... Also, 12.6v sounds a little low for an AGM, it should be 12.7 + fully charged. 

Source(s): Measure the voltage when the bass hits.