Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

wdyt about using windows 7 these days?

I refuse to leave it :(

7 will get no further support and will only get slower as new programs emerge that use more memory than 7 can handle.

I wdyt still use W7. I perfer it.

I perfer win 10

• keerok

It's not obsolete - anything that runs on win10, runs on win7. 

Outdated is a matter of opinion but if you mean no more support from ms, that's actually a good thing. No more forced updates!

Open to viruses and hacking? If you believe in that, you know nothing about computers.

I still use XP and most of my PCs are linux and win7 with a couple of win8 and a couple of win10. The win10 ones are the most troublesome. So what do I think about win7? Great!

Why use a hugely obsolete, outdated operating system that is open to viruses and malware and opens you up to being hacked? That would be like a pro football player playing a game in street clothes!

As a retired tech, I have 5 computers in my house. 1 has XP, 2 have Win 7 and 2 others have Win 10. ( the servers don't matter. )They all work fine.  As stated by others, the virus scare was just that.  Additionally, if you keep away from questionable sites, have and update a virus scan program (that works) are security conscious, then you won't have problems.  (I would download and keep handy the ISO so that you can reinstall Windows 7, should the need ever arise.) 

Someone mentioned that programs will get slower.  Fact of the matter is, any program you have now will most likely continue to work and do well for you.  My XP Laptop runs Microsoft Office XP.  My Win 7 machine has MS Office 2007 and I see no reason to add to this or upgrade. They do  what I need and will continue to do so. 

I note that in the future, should you purchase a new machine, with Windows 10, it may be difficult to downgrade to Win 7 only because Win 7 may not have the drivers for any new hardware the new machine may have.  Other than that, I can't see any problems in the near future.  You're fine. 

It still works and if you like it, stay with it. The virus scare was way overblown.

• ?

The only reason I use it is because an OS at least that new is required to run Firefox 70, which is what I need for some websites (like this one) that use HTML5, plus my installation of Lightroom needs a 64 bit OS.  I'd rather not use it and prefer to use windows XP, or Linux (which is too old to update Firefox on that one either).  I use windows 10 at work and I hate it.

There are way too many stupid people in the world for me to care about your particular brand of it.

You're missing out on the latest stuff but you can keep using your rig as long as the software you're using holds out. Some of those apps will be just fine frozen at the last version that works on your system, while others that need to stay fresh are going to leave you behind.