Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Does being a software engineer have good future prospects?

There is a lot of software engineering positions that have been created India and other countries by large corporations to reduce the expense of custom software development, however it has done little to decrease the salary of software engineers in the U.S.  Fewer people are going into software engineering in the U.S. and it's causing a shortage of software engineers.

I started 23 years ago in software engineering and I firmly believe that there will continue to be a need in the U.S. for the foreseeable future.

There is also a common argument that software engineering will be replaced by some form of AI or ML in the future.  I understand AI better than most people, having built my own ANNs.  This will not happen anytime soon, and software engineering will be one of the last to go.  I can make a strong argument for AI someday replacing any current job role in every industry.

If you are thinking about going into software engineering because you like it and you think you'll be good at it, please go for it.

In India, yes.  In the US and UK, not so much.