Jacob asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

What's your opinion on this situation?

So I have this teacher that asks when you submit a test to him, the test must be printed and then you can write your answers on that sheet. I don't have a printer so I just write my answers on a lined piece of paper. If you don't follow this rule, 10% will be taken off of the test mark (which I totally agree with). Since I wrote my test on lined paper instead of printing the test, 10% of my mark was deducted from the test (totally okay with).

A second test comes up and I write it on lined paper again. My teachers comment on the test was "-10% again?!?!?!?!. next time you do this it will be -20%".

Now I don't think this is fair that he can just threaten to take -20% off instead of the -10%. I'd love to file a complaint to this teacher but I just want some opinions.

Thanks.

You may not think it is "fair", but life isn't fair.  He it clear that he wanted the tests to be printed.  There are libraries that have computers and printers suggest that you follow instructrion.

• drip

Communication.   YOU should of told the teacher right from the start you didn’t have a printer.  Then after the first paper was handed in you still didn’t explain the situation to the teacher. 

Don’t complain to the teacher. Let them know you don’t have a printer.  

You don’t say what grade you are in or where you live.  In the US public libraries will print for you. Our library has the capability for a patron to send a document to them for them to print and you can curb side to pick it up.

See what your library offers.

I can't imagine why you didn't go to him straight away when he first mentioned this requirement, tell him you don't have a printer, and ask if you could use lined paper instead. He doesn't KNOW you don't have one, so he thinks you're deliberately being awkward.If you explain, who knows, he might cut you some slack. But if you DON'T, how is he supposed to understand your situation?

Even if you don't have a printer yourself, surely you can arrange access to one from time to time. Doesn't the school library have one?

Depending on your state and whether this is a public school this may not be legal. In many states a school can not require someone to pay for anything. So if you are in one of these states, in this situation a teacher can not require you to print/have a printer unless they give you access to a printer. 

Even if it is legal, this still shouldn't be a requirement. I know people who have to do this is college and they stress over whether the printer will work on test day and such. And the only thing I can think of about why a teacher would do this is to make it slightly easier for the teacher to grade.

I think you should complain even if it is legal in your state. This isn't like your teacher asked you to do the test hand-written and you typed it or something that might have legitimate reasons for the request. 

My thoughts are that you are the student and not the teacher. It is not up to you to decide whether or not the parameters for a test or an assignment are fair. Your teacher likely has a reason for asking you and your classmates to hand in your tests in the manner specified, and that's your job as a student - to follow instructions. 

You see, when you nonchalantly accept to have ten percent shaved off of your grade because you're too lazy to be arsed to find a printer, your teacher isn't impressed. I'm sure that you're not the only student who doesn't own a printer, but I'm sure that you could find a way to access one. There are print shops in every city and town in the developed world and I'm sure that somebody you know owns one. You could even ask your parents to print your test out at work and bring it home with them. You just don't want to bother doing any of that. 

Being a student is your job. Imagine if I were your boss and I were to tell you that if you didn't perform your tasks according to the instructions I laid out you would be docked ten percent of your weekly pay. I'm pretty sure that you'd find a way to handle your job duties according to those instructions to avoid being docked. But you want to know something? Let's just say that you demonstrated the same attitude with me - your boss, as you are demonstrating with your teacher and shrugging it off saying "Oh well, no big deal." If you don't care about the quality of your performance then you don't deserve to have the job. I'd fire you. 

I don't know how old you are, but if you're old enough to post here, you're old enough to take responsibility for your own actions. The instructions are clear - print the document. Guaranteed that attitude and classroom participation are factored into your grade. Your attitude is awful. It's completely fair for your teacher to punish you in any way that he or she feels is suitable when it comes to shaving points off for laziness and failure to adhere to the rules. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you go whinging to your principal saying "Wah, wah, wah, my teacher wants me to go the extra mile and I don't want to." 

Grow up and do what you're supposed to be doing. 

Even though that seems harsh, he wants what he wants, and it is up to you to figure out how to do this. You should be able to get the items printed at your school, have a friend help you, or even go to your local library or post office and have it done there, but really, this is such an easy fix, why give up the points? You would not be able to go against your employer at a job if your employer gave you specific instructions and you chose to disregard them, so really, you shouldn't be doing it with your instructor.

I'm not sure what level of school you are in, but this would not be considered acceptable in most cases.  Students cannot be penalized because they don't have access to technology that the instructor prefers.  University students usually have access to campus computer labs and printers, but that's certainly not the case now. Same for many public school students.  Public libraries are closed, and some don't offer this service (mine doesn't).  The nearest store that offers printing services is 30 minutes away from me.  So a requirement like this would be highly difficult for many in my area to meet.  

Many people don't have home printers these days, and it's not reasonable to demand access to technology like that.  I don't think the 10% is even acceptable, and we would not be allowed to implement a policy like this in my school.  I would definitely consider taking this above the instructor if you cannot successfully resolve it with the instructor.  Have you told him that you don't own a printer or have access to one?  If not, that's where you need to start.  

• Judy

You need to find somewhere to print it.  Try your library - even some that are closed for covid do printing - or Kinkos of Staples.

• fuzzy

Teacher sounds like a jerk, I don't know where you live but I would report him to the school board.