Marvin
Marvin asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Dispatching rodents?

They dig around my shrubs. I also frequently find them drown in my swimming pool. 

I have no idea why they come around. I keep my rubbish bins clean. And my home clean. There is no food for them. It must be water they seek. I think most forms of mouse and rat traps are cruel. I am not sure if you have ever encountered a still live rat in a trap with its’ back broken. The poor creature suffers in pain for a day or so before it dies.

I was thinking of making a simple mains powered full wave voltage multiplier using some capacitors and diodes. Once “Ben” sticks his head in the box containing the bait the circuit will deliver 1200 volts for 300mS across his little ears. He will be dispatched painlessly in a puff of smoke due to an acute case of “fried brain”.

The cool thing is not only will the electrodes be inaccessible to larger creatures like dogs or cats and the current will be insufficient to deliver anything but a painful  shock should a larger creature stick his or her paw into the hole. It would take an effort to get injured by such a device.

The standby power would be about one what. 

Any thoughts?

I do not consider poison to be anything but cruel.

I am an engineer. I think up ways to solve problems all day long.

My wife wants rid of the pests.

You have posted repeatedly about living in Asia, and I believe rats are a problem in Asia.  Thoughts?  Why would you not end the suffering for a rat with a broken back?  I also think poison and traps are cruel.  That's why I use a device that keeps them away through sound waves as opposed to trapping or poisoning.

.

I think this is another one of your fantasies.

Be very careful about the size and voltage of your home made electrocution chamber. You do not want to kill any cats or small dogs with that. 

I bought an electric trap at Home Depot. It is powered by batteries with a metal plate inside. It is too small for anything other than a mouse or rat to enter, and works instantly. 

You could either buy one of those, or look it up online and copy the specifications. 

• Foofa

If you have an outdoor outlet they make plug in devices that emit a very high sound humans can't hear. We have these and so far it's worked to keep rats out of our fruit trees. Squirrels not so much though. 

• Robert

You apparently have too much time on your hands   That seems like quite a project in order to keep a rat from suffering.   But if you can't or won't put that kind of brilliant mind on projects that really matter in a world gone nuts, and you want to waste your resources on its cost, go for it.  Have fun.  What will you do to dispose of the dead rat corpses?  That should be your next brilliant project. 

Hire an exterminator.