Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why do a lot of people don't hesitate to give a panhandler an insensitive attitude ?

They don't want you to get used to the habit of approaching people on the street for money? They think that if you're hungry you should go to a soup kitchen or a food bank? They think that it's inappropriate to disturb people's peace when they're just trying to go work or enjoy an outing downtown? I guess that makes sense. 

Simple - I REFUSE to pay for ANYONE'S drugs or alcohol or cigarettes.  THAT is what they spend the money on.  For many of them, panhandling is a 9-5 job and they go home to their 4-bedroom 3 bathroom house at the end of the day in their Porsche parked out of sight.  I have bought these people FOOD before and they didn't want it, they wanted money.  I said you're **** out of luck then.......If they are standing there panhandling with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth and a thousand dollar cell phone in their hand, they don't NEED money.  They have all they need if they are affording those things.

When I'm approached by an occasional panhandler, I'll say hello, greet them, either help them or look them in face and tell them I'm sorry I can't help today and wish them luck. But when I'm approached by panhandler after panhandler? I naturally begin to feel put upon, feel tempted to ask "Do I look like Santa Claus or something?" So please don't take it personally when you get a brush off or even a snarl. It's just general stress fatigue usually, not you personally.

• Foofa

They live in L.A. where there are 66K homeless people, about half of them violent, and they're sick of being accosted by panhandlers every ten feet as they try to get to work. 

cause theyre insensitive, ive given them food before but not money

In large parts of the country, including where I live, panhandlers can be dangerous or become violent with no warning.  Many are on drugs.  I used to give to them, but now I walk away.  Also, you mentioned something in your question about enjoying downtown outings.  This matters, but not just to the visitor.  If there are too many panhandlers in or near a store, this will hurt that store's business. 

Where I live, we are inundated by panhandlers. Many city dwellers are. I try to be polite, but I am approached so often that it's hard, frankly.  I see a lot of people over and over, and it's become clear that some of their hard-luck stories are simply not true.  

And yes, if you are nice, if you actually hand over a little money now and then, panhandlers will swoop down on you each time they see you.  Some people simply feel that it's best to let them know, "You won't be getting anything from me, period" at the outset, so that they won't be constantly importuned.

I can't give money each time I am asked for it.  I'd be handing over a fortune. Best not to give it to anyone than to just a few.  

• martin

A good approach is to say, "Don't have any money but good luck today."