Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How to remove old stuck drywall? ?

In one section of my bathroom the drywall is completely adhered to the studs. I’ve been using a scraper, a pry bar, a hammer, and a saw to try to get as much off as I can but I can’t get it down to the wood. I’m basically just shaving it off which is working ok for the studs in the middle section cause I have the angle but I’m making no progress in the corners.  The sections in the corners are so stuck I have no clue how to get them off I keep scraping at them but I’ve been at this for 2 days with little progress. Anyone have any idea how to get this off? 

• hart

angel grinder with wire brush

• elhigh

Chisel, big cup of coffee, and an audiobook on your earbuds.  Settle in and get after it, this is one of those instances where you just have to get after it until you've gotten it all.

If you want to burn the previous builder in effigy, I won't hold it against you.  I've been there too.

That is how GLUE works.  It is meant to stay there. So sharp wood chisel and bit by bit it comes off.

• ?

Tools called claws at any home improvement store. And it's essentially just a handheld device that

• ?

easy with a hammer and chisel or an angle grinder . just grind of the dry glue with a grinding disk till you read the timber . 4 inch grinder should do the job , or as i said a hammer and chisel . use a grinding disk not a cutting disk . easier to grind the crap of but smash to wall to smaller pieces , and it makes life easier . remember the replacement goes on the the little groove out , so you can use tape and plaster on the joints /.

budlight has always done the trick for me.

If you tried a scrapper, pry bar, OR hammer and couldn't remove that, the TOOLS are not the problem. The OPERATOR is defective.

Find someone stronger than your goldfish.

a hammer will break the drywall into little pieces and thus remove most of it

• ?

I agree with CB. It sounds like Liquid Nails or some other adhesive was used and a heat gun might be a big help. I would also suggest buying some cheap wide(ish) wood chisels. They might work better than a scraper or pry bar.

• CB

Depending on the adhesive, a heat-gun might soften it enough to make better progress - keep a fire extinguisher handy in case it catches fire some heat guns get very hot.