Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

stefan asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Are most people alright with hugs?

If there is someone who I know who I am not very close with like an acquaintance, would most be alright with a hug?

The majority are okay with a civil hug, but not everybody.  I knew one person who was very uncomfortable with casual hugs.  Now, I would not want to make somebody uncomfortable so I am usually more reserved until I know whether it is okay.  Technically, it is rude for a man to hold out his hand to shake hands with a woman; she must make the first gesture for it to be polite. 

Well, you see it is tricky.  I'd watch the person's response and decide whether it is okay.

• susan

No. It might have been acceptable to many before 2020, but unsolicited hugs are completely unacceptable now, and I don't think that's going to change back, even after the pandemic subsides. 

For strangers and acquaintances, it is polite to stay 6 feet/2 meters distant, physically.  If it is someone you are very emotionally close to, ask first, and maybe they would hug you. I'm guessing you feel kind of starved for a hug after all this time or you wouldn't be asking. Tell a good friend how you are feeling. 

I sincerely hope you will get what you need very soon.

• mom

before we had this virus, I loved hugs but not anymore because of the virus

• Robin

No it’s lockdown so don’t do it 

Hugs are for family and close friends. They are not for acquaintances, and most certainly NOT while there's a pandemic going on.

I love hugs. I'm on my own now and do miss them. Tho, I do not like being hugged by a total stranger. That's creepy.

it dont bother me but i get shy about hugging people back

• drip

Not after last year. And the pandemic still going on. This is going to change casual hi hugs and even handshakes. 

I would rather not hug friends, let alone an acquaintance.  

I would say for most people they would rather not hug an acquaintance.  

With a pandemic going on - fist bumps is really the most you should be doing now. But once it passes - just ask first. And don’t be offended if they say no. Most likely a quick hug is just fine. It’s that some people might have been abused so it’s good to ask first.

If you're not close, you've never previously hugged, and they've not initiated a hug - don't hug. 

(Also until the pandemic is over - don't be hugging anyone you don't live with...)