Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Electric oven 13amp plug ?

I have a gas hob and a electric oven it has a 13amp plug I want a new oven with hard wiring my original cooker has its own circuit and isolation switch it has a 40amp breaker in the fuse box can I just change the socket for a hard wired one the wire in the fuse box looks about 5mm

• y

looks about 5mm?

Unless you know exactly what wire size and type you are using, don't use it.

Ideally, get a paid professional to do it. 

Legally, the task should be done by a "competent" electrician.

Part P registration not required in this case. Minor works cert should be issued.

I'd suggest using a fused spur with flex outlet, unless you are installing a double oven, when you should use an unfused flex outlet to avoid the risk of popping a fuse at the wall.

I am not familiar with UK wiring. I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN a dedicated circuit with a 13 amp outlet isn't wired to handle 40 amps.

Since you mention 13amp you must be in UK. Electrical work in a kitchen must be carried out by a competent person qualified for "part P" installations.

First you need to determine if your range has its own circuit breaker/fuse to limit the power supply to the wiring capacity of the range and to the plug size for the stove.  You can have too much power in your circuit breaker box, too big of a breaker, too big of a cable going to the outlet box, and then hook up to small receptacle to fit to the range.  And plug it in with the stove plug rated at smaller amperage.  Don't do that.  The purpose of the circuit breakers is to protect the cable downstream of it.  You can fry the outlet box for the range and the range itself, and electrocute yourself in the process.  The breaker in the circuit breaker box should be rated for the range itself.  Then you can have larger and safer wires, receptacles and plugs.   They are oversized.

It should be hard wired, you are permitted a single socket on the same circuit which is why most cooker outlets have them. Check the breaker is as specified in the instructions for the cooker you have.