Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What type of animation was Disney before it did Pixar?

Did they create hand-drawn animation by using paper, pencil, pens and coloring utensils or did they use computer animation? 

Yes. They used to produce traditionally animated cartoon shorts and feature animated films. Hand-drawn and inked cartoons.

Disney's been doing cartoons since the 1920's.  In fact, they were the first to create toons with sound.  As such, they did begin by using hand drawing methods.  Also, the forest background in Bambi was inspired by Chinese watercolor paintings.  As for their use of computer animation, that came much later on.  

Disney didn't "do Pixar." They bought Pixar. And what kind of question is this? Have you ever seen Pinocchio, Cinderella, snow white, etc

• They use computer animation, before drawing it.

It was 2d animation. Through they dabbled in newer technologies in film making and special effects and affects in ways long before anyone. Before Disney decided they didn't like people like me. I wanted to be animator or a musician for the company. Of course, that dream fell through and got crushed. I don't know why I keep painting through, if I am not very good at it. I guess, I keep believing I must improve or must interest someone eventually who will like me or understand me better than most people do in this sad, sinfully, sick world of ours. 

Disney used to be done all by hand, painstakingly hand drawing  thousands of what they called  "cels"...... (yes, one L----not cells) 

Original Disney cel artwork, now sells  for literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars to collectors. 

Just so happens,  my sister,  an absolute Cinderella freakazoid,  once bought an original  Cinderella Cel, of her in the wedding gown....with the two bluebirds holding up the veil.  Probably worth a  small fortune these days. 

• ?

They used to dip green beans in old motor oil and draw the pictures on film.

• ?

For the longest time, their animations were handdrawn only. In the 90s, they started implementing some computer animated elements into their otherwise hand drawn movies, such as the stampede scene from The Lion King.

Both techniques!!!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • Nick

Both, they had used computer animation for some scenes going back to at least Aladdin.