Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Not interested in talking to guy at bus stop?

He tries to make conversation with me, but I'm not interested.  I leave for work very early at 5.25 each morning (I'm a keyworker) and it's cold and dark.  It's only us two there.  How can I show I'm purely there to catch my bus to work each morning?

I'm not sure about strangers.  Don't know if he's genuine.  

He also spits on the pavement which I find uncouth and antisocial.

Yes, the bus is usually punctual.

Tell him it's too bloody early in the morning for ya to have to pretend to be polite to him. 

Interesting.        

• Ann

It won't hurt you to say "Good Morning".  Wear some earbuds and carry a pocket radio.  If you both catch the bus every day, it's pretty obvious that he's "genuine" (whatever that means).  Just because he has bad manners, that doesn't mean you have to be unsociable.  That's part of what's wrong with society today.

• Foofa

Either wear earbuds and listen to something or take a book/magazine and make yourself look very interested in it. 

Wear a pair of visable ear phones and listen to music or an audio book.

It is such a shame that two strangers who share a bus stop just can't have an innocent

conversation these days. The art of conversation is being lost. Sure, I do understand that you don't know his "motives" but then you don't share personal information.

maybe you can go to another bus stop

annoy him and what is your question

Put on earphones (even if you don't turn them on for safety).

If he tries to talk to you, just tell him "Sorry, I have to listen to this lecture for school" or whatever excuse you want.

• Rick B

1) Put in earbuds and just make a big deal of taking them out and making him repeat himself, then put them back in after you give him a short answer

2) Read a book or a newspaper.

3) Talk on the phone with someone else.

4) Find a different bus stop to wait at

5) Lean you r head back and close your eyes and tell him you are just going to get a few minutes of sleep before the bus comes.

OR

6) Just be honest with him.  Tell him, "Look, you are a nice enough fellow, but I really just need some quiet time in the morning to prepare for my day.  It's nothing personal, and I don't mean to be rude, but I have very little down time once I get to work and some days it is just overwhelming.  I really prefer to just sit here and rest until the bus comes."

• ?

If it’s just the two of you, I would make friends with him especially since it’s 5:30 in the morning. What if someone tries to mug you. Wouldn’t you want him as a friend to make the mugger think twice since he’s less likely to mug you if you’re with someone. 

Keep looking at your phone or something.  Maybe he's from a country where people are friendly?  Don't forget you don't have to be someone you're not and you don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with.